Dumaguete Info Search

U.S official refuses to help u.s citizen

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by DavyL200, May 5, 2016.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    So they took him to Cebu and just left him on the corner there when the Consulate wouldn't take him? WTF? Seems that the entire thing was just an plan to get him out of the LGU's hair. I hope that this isn't true....all that nasty talk in the article about the USG being heartless non-caring people and they go and dump him on a corner in Cebu of all places? :shifty:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Since his last known location was in Cebu I have started a thread in LinC asking if anyone knows anything about the man or his whereabouts. I have also sent a message on FB to Mr. Ablong several hours ago asking for more information and the whereabouts of Mr. Oest.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    If he is to get any help from the U.S. consulate, then Cebu is a better place to be than Dumaguete. There are more people to beg money from. And he is outside the DumagueteInfo jurisdiction, not our problem anymore. :creeper:

4. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I've had two grandparents suffer from Alzheimer's/dementia, one passed away, one currently in the late stages of the disease. It's a very nasty disease (not just on the person who has it but their family as well) on it's own, living on the street alone in a 3rd world country....wouldn't wish that on anyone. Not exactly sure what would happen to this man if he made it back to the US and had no one there to get him at the airport. If there is no family I don't think any outcome is going to be a very pleasant one.....but if I had to choose where I was going to slowly lose my mind, the Philippines would certainly not be my first choice. At least in the US there is a chance he could be put somewhere that could provide him the basics.

Edit: My point was, if there is something that can help him get back to the US it should be done.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. TheDude

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    He needs to get back to the U.S. and the best place or that to happen is in Cebu or Manila. If I were in a rough spot with no support back home, then dumped on a street corner close to the consulate is exactly where I would want to be. That's a better location than a street corner in Dumaguete.

The other option is that he gets picked up by immigration and put in immigration jail. He won't get treatment for his condition there. I imagine immigration would be motivated to work with the consulate to put his case at the head of the queue for shipping him out. It would be obvious they wouldn't be getting money from him and his care would be difficult.

Getting to the U.S. would be a win since there are lots of options there.

At this point, his mental condition is just a guess on our part.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Plus I don't know the guy but I would hope he is covered by medicare in the US. Sad story. Not good to be alone here guys with no one to look after you in case the grim reaper bites you in the @ss.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. TheDude

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    That thread in LICF pretty well sums this up. There isn't much that we can do. The government of the U.S. and the Philippines isn't going to do anything. It's amazing that he was able to catch a ride to Cebu and even then they had a complaint with issues of funding.

The link I posted earlier pretty well captures the process that is left.

1. They will raise funds from friends and family in the US.

2. They can provide a repatriation loan.

All that is left for DI to do if we were serious would be to take it on ourselves to be the "friends" from #1 and raise funds. We could use something like the service which the family of Prinz used. Those funds could then perhaps be handed to the consulate to either fast track a ticket or to be used in addition to #2 to ease the gap between his present situation and the arrival of any funds / tickets from the consulate. Though it's not a given that the consulate would provide a ticket.

I believe the above mentioned service could gain pledges and put the funding on hold until the logistics has been worked out. Or perhaps the funds could be released and then reimbursed if they aren't needed. I don't know how it works, I would have to check the site.

The difficulty here is that we don't know anything about his situation or whereabouts. If he were here we could probably put him up in a boarding house, seek donations from local restaurants for places for him to eat and perhaps even pay for a caretaker to watch over him during the day (maybe a few hundred pesos a day for someone who has been through a care-giving course). One month of this wouldn't be terribly expensive and that would probably provide enough time to work out the rest of the logistics to get him to the US.

Maybe something like $1200 would pay for the ticket, travel expenses and all of the above. That would be a tight budget. The budget could go further if his stay could be in Manila or wherever he could fly out of. Ideally he would have some pocket money after arriving to the US. I suppose the strength of the campaign would determine what options would be available.

Aside from his present location. The huge unknown is what he wants to do despite his condition. We don't have the authority to force the guy to do anything.

I don't have the time and the resources to take the lead on this. Someone would have to organize it. I could help with an FB campaign (create and help promote a page) but I can't be the point man.

That's about it. All else is commentary at this point.