Dumaguete Info Search

U.S. Ship Damages Tubbataha Reef

Discussion in 'Diving and Marine Life' started by PatO, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Remember that that equipment is manned by humans. The equipment might have been capable of seeing it, but humans must interpret the data. Mistakes happen. I served in the military and I can vouch that the "best and brightest" crap they spew out is far from the truth. Probably some 20 year old kid manning it. The incident was an accident, they happen, I'm sure this isn't the first naval vessel that ran aground on a poorly mapped reef. They will pay a fine, someone will get their @ss chewed out, story over.

Giving the Philippines maritime disputes with China, and their complete lack of a legitimate navy, the US Navy won't stop patrolling philippine waters anytime soon. That senator is acting like the US is not one of the best allies of the Phils. He is just stirring the pot a bit for show to his constituents. The senator would be wise to not stir the pot too much

2. kiwiobob

kiwiobob DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree with J. Diver for sure....:cool: particularly the ''drunk'' bit.:smile:

3. Diver

Diver DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    If the Us navy has poorly maps of Tubbataha, let them mail me I have a good one with all the coordinates.
    But still I dont understand it the reefs are there for thousands of years or longer and in my opinion they dont move to other places.
    And I also know that the US Navy had a bifg fight over there (Coron) in world war 2.

Greetings J.DIver

4. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    Very good question. If there is no urgent need to be in a particular spot, you would think they would take the course with the greatest safety margin because sh*t happens.

5. joseph domaille

joseph domaille DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I thought they were charts not maps , When i said reefs were easy to hit i meant out to sea not were land is in view , I did not know that it is exposed at all times, sounds liked someone stuffed if thats the case.
    cheers

6. navytexan

navytexan DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Ships hit things in the world oceans everyday . I have been on this vessel before when it was stationed on the east coast , it changed it's location to the west coast many years ago . My only thoughts on how it found itself on a reef is that it went D.I.W. and drifted upon it , or it got there by a D.W.I. after a good port visit ! :dnr:

7. Diver

Diver DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    A cover up, sail your ship on te reef is a cover up ????

Greetings J.Diver

8. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

Well it does have at least part of the reef covered!

Larry

9. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Not worth a real response. Idiotic.

10. Miguel

Miguel DI Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +109 / 39
    You got it all wrong. US war machine is enviromentally certified 100 per cent ecological. So this hit on World heritage site Tubbataba was an act of natural art. If You disagree, You get a ISO 90 000 certified green Hellfire in return:rolleyes: