Dumaguete Info Search

Utilities & Mobile Undersea cables damaged, (even) slower internet

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by Dutchie, Sep 2, 2017.

1. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    I'm with Sky and there hasn't been any slow down

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I searched the other night for who supplies Fil-Products, and found 4x companies listed;
    Appollo Global - Bayantel - PLDT and a Taiwanese Company. (I assume the Taiwanese Company is the one who supplies the Pay TV connection due to the Chinese Subtitles on most programs)

Strange; because I am informed that Bayantel have been bought out by Globe, and Globe will now only connect Maluay customers to Globe Internet (instead of using Bayantel's existing platform and retaining existing customers) but refuse to connect new subscriber's, because they have no Towers here, which equates to no, or next to no signal, and when asked, could not answer me if or when they intend to erect more Towers, so Globe Internet is useless around Maluay going by what Globe have told me. (I asked Globe at Robinson's)

Yet; I find it amusing that Globe who now own Bayantel and are disconnecting existing customers around this area, while Bayantel services are being provided to Fil-Products Cable customers via Apollo Global to supply their Internet needs, which in part; uses Bayantel and PLDT, who both I was informed, also do not service the area when I applied for Home Internet and Landline Phone connection with both said companies, so; Fil-Products use companies to provide to an area that are not provided by those companies doing the providing... :o o: Only in the Philippines? :rolleyes:

Today again, my Fil-Products TV Service and Internet were both down, came back on several hours later albeit slow speed again, and despite the Modem being powered during those days with Black-outs with the UPS; when power goes down here, so does the Internet/TV connection via the Cable. So Battery Back-up does not help keep my connection alive. Something for those to note who are concerned about being offline during any Black-outs and if you are considering using Fil-Products around the Zamboanguita area.

3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I don't find it that surprising. I'm sure Fil-products has a solid contract for a certain amount of bandwidth from Globe. It is much less risky, legally, for Globe to cut off individual users than a larger company with a solid contract.

4. Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    And it only gets worse, I thought I would do a Speed Test so rebooted and tested away! When I first signed up, testing after 7pm normally yielded 6.0mbps Speeds on Download and around 1.8mbps on Upload...

First test at 7:30 PM yielded; 0.70mbps Download & 0.98mbps Upload Speed

Second Test at 7:45 PM yielded 0.34mbps & 0.48mbps Upload

Third Test went from 7:45 PM to 8:50 PM going nowhere after multiple attempts, with the Speed Test trying to find a Ping with no luck, could not proceed to do a Test at all... :sorry:

Limping along like a 3 legged Tortoise with paraplegia... :dead:

Attached Files:

5. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Same, same over here. Had "PLDT out" last night (like a brownout for Internet) but this morning I have download speed from Cebu at 3.67 Mbps and from Los Angeles at 2.54 Mbps. And my application for Fibr is still "pending" :dead:

6. tanjay

tanjay DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +107 / 30
    Blood Type:
    B+
    No internet slowdown here in Tanjay. Globe Broadband average download speed 14Mbps.

7. Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Fil-Products is connected via PLDT & Bayantel so maybe it is PLDT having the major problems? Ran another test this morning, maybe someone at PLDT reads the forum here as speeds have improved a bit since last night, at 9:30am Download is 1.25mbps and Upload has jumped to 1.57mbps.

I wish I could say it is only going to get better here :biggrin:

If they had a "I HATE YOU" Emote Rating here I would have clicked it TWICE!! :biggrin: lol

Wait; Here you go! :tongue:
    [​IMG]

8. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    i had a similar experience at the rob/globe office when inquiring about GCash. had to talk with 3 different reps before getting told they didn't know. only took an hour (simply amazing!!!)...

currently, i'm about 3km out of zambo and i've got a 3G modem hanging in the window getting daytime speeds up to 3.5mb and speeds up to 6.5mb at 3/5am. actually, i hit 7.6mb early this am!!!

i use GOTSCOMBODD70 for normal surfing and time browsing for big downloads.

GOTSCOMBODD70
    ₱70
    Unlimited Texts to All Networks and 1GB surfing for 7 days. (usually lasts me a week)

time browsing; ₱5 for 15 minutes and NO data cap.
    on a good day, i can get a movie for ₱10

so a good month costs ₱280 for surfing and ₱300 for a movie a day, not too bad, eh...

i use a globe retailers sim card to deal with funding prepaid promos and time browsing. i got the card at Pick & Carry (near ever mall) and i load (load wallet) it there also. no problems with my globe load wallet cash gone missing in a couple of years.

once you have the retailer sim, you can load your family members at a discount and also sell loads to the neighbors.

9. Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I am still amazed that Globe works here for you as when I enquired at Globe Robinson's (maybe a year ago or so) they told me that I would never get a Globe signal here and when asked regards when I might, told me that they had no intentions to erecting more Towers here as it was not high priority. Maybe someone high up in Globe bought a House locally here and discovered they could not access the Internet? :biggrin: hehe