Dumaguete Info Search

Uniblue Registry Booster

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by PatO, Jul 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,566 / 1,017
    Does anyone use Uniblue Registry Booster? I got a new laptop and not sure if this is something that came installed and it is good or if a piece of s_ _ _ crawled into my system. When I start up I am asked if I want to use it. Thanks

2. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +675 / 92
    PatO ...
    i'm not an exspurt but in my experience, uniblue is ok but there's way better registry boosters/tune-up softwares out there. i have a hunch if you run unible, it'll *find* a billion problems and fix a few of them, then direct you to a website where you can buy the full blown version.

i've been running ''advanced system optimizer'' and it kicks butt. however, since purchasing aso, i've learned of several *free* registry cleaners that are sposed to be good and i'll look into them when my current aso subscription comes due.

maybe someone in the know will step in here or... google top ''10 registry cleaners'' and take it from there...

norm : ))~

3. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    pre-installed software is many times just promotion. In a lot of cases you can use it for a few weeks and after the trial period you need to pay. If not, you just have millions of 1's and 0's on your machine which are useless and slowing it down over the time. (where this software actually is designed to avoid).

I don't use it but had a look into it earlier this year. the reviews are totally mixed. one which got my attention was following:

Summary: Installed a brand new OEM copy of Windows 7 Home Premium on an Athlon II x2 system, and as an experiment the first thing I installed after basic drivers was Uniblue. It immediately auto-scanned and claimed to find over 200 errors. It "fixed" a few for free, then said that if I wanted to fix more errors I needed to pay $40 for the full version.

There were no registry errors. It was a brand new, fresh-off-the-disk install. Any registry errors that did exist were probably caused by this poorly-coded piece of junk's installer.

My personal opinion, a new computer does not need that kind of stuff. And as long you do not install a lot of free, shareware and click on each "I agree to install" even older computer should run smooth with some proper maintenance and protection software.

the other question is how you get it off your PC, if you don't want it ...

4. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +675 / 92
    i dunno... how about go thru the normal uninstall procedures, then go into the registry and root around to make sure all traces are gone.

5. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    one may think that uninstalling should work, but many programs come without uninstalling routine and the windows routine does not really clear things out (same with deleting files)

in combination with your second step it works of course, but is probably not advisable for a "normal" computer user. many of that traces are in hidden files you don't see in the normal setup and in folders you need quite some knowledge to mess around with.

6. Ninja

Ninja DI Member

Computer Engineer
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    There are only two free software applications that would use on ANY computer.....

Malwarebytes
    Avast or AVG free editions

Both of these are very effective if update at regular fortnightly intervals for definitions updates.

This is what I install when clearing viruses which come through my workshop.

Also for the more intermediate users, I would stop everything running in Jacobson except for the two apps to make your system run faster.....

7. Ninja

Ninja DI Member

Computer Engineer
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Sorry for the bad grammar and spelling, the spell checker and auto type on the iPad is murderous....

Jacobsen should be msconfig.....

8. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    If you want good cleaner use ccleaner,google it and I think 3rd one down is free one. Best bit of software I used for sorting the crap out!

9. Don

Don DI Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 1
    PatO,

I installed and ran it. Screwed up my OS Big Time. Never again.....
    Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.