Dumaguete Info Search

Unseen Sendang storm damage to the underwater areas of Dumaguete

Discussion in 'Diving and Marine Life' started by sntmig, Dec 30, 2011.

1. OP
    OP
    sntmig

sntmig DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +121 / 17
    I do not expect the Government to "fix the sea bed"...BUT I do expect them to acknowlege the problems and try to do as much as possible to help and manage this situation so that future damage can be halted, and all dive opperators,resorts are made aware and advised what they can do to help.. The government is the one who recieves the diving,snorkeling,anchoring,visitor fees from Apo and Dauin.(these fees add up to millions of pesos per year !)
    As for "I dont think there is much they can do anywhere in the world about broken reefs?", please read the article from mntnwolf about reef restoration in Bali.

DENR ( Departmant of Environment and Natural Resorces) is the Government agency that is in charge of this and PAMBI (Protected Area Management Board) is the division for actual "on-site" management.
    There has been zero news/info on this situation from the media.

2. Hodgepodge

Hodgepodge One Hit Wonder?

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Booked trip to Atlantis for 12 days in February. Is the diving going to be good, bad, or indifrent.

Scheduled three trips to Apo as well or are the shops diving other areas.
    Any news would help.

3. mntnwolf

mntnwolf DI Member

university professor
    Ratings:
    +110 / 10
    We were just out at that Dauin reef-area today, at Mike's down-beach from Atlantis, and were told by dive-masters that there is visible damage to some reef but not all, and the things seen while diving are still great.