Dumaguete Info Search

Embassy Info US Consulate Cebu - Limited Hours

Discussion in 'Passports and Visas' started by Rye83, Jun 6, 2017.

1. msls6

msls6 DI Member Blood Donor Veteran Navy

Retired
    Ratings:
    +60 / 36
    Blood Type:
    O+
    If the old man is collecting U.S. social security and claims the child, his monthly check will increase by 50% until the child turns 18 (19 if still in high school). The father could use the extra money to pay the child support.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    He likely wouldn't. I know the consulate can help set up international child support agreements with the proper organizations in the US. If a parent is more than $2,500 behind on child support payments the embassy will not allow passports to be renewed.....not that I think this guy cares. The current wife is also making this as hard as possible because she believes it will f*ck with her survivor benefits (note: they do not live together anymore).

3. Plainspoken

Plainspoken DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +325 / 280
    Just FYI, from what little I understand about it. Sort of related and was of great interest to me. I do realize how easy it would be to dodge the rules.
    Here goes:
    Unless she is a US citizen, a green card holder, or lived with him for five years in the US, she doesn't have much in the way of benefits to mess up, unless she intends to move to the US to get her benefits reinstated.
    This is from the ssa.gov site concerning survivor's benefits for non citizens.
    "In most cases, we stop payments to noncitizens after they are outside the United States for six calendar months in a row. If we stop your payments, we will not start them again until you return to the United States and remain for a full calendar month."
    The exception to most cases is if she lived with him in a spousal relationship for five years in the US, or is a citizen of a country that has an agreement with the US. The Philippines is not on the list. She can even return to the US as a widow and fulfill the five year spousal requirement, the way it reads, but if she is not a citizen and stays here, it looks as though she may not collect for long.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Well it's good to hear that my tax money won't go to support the "wife". I personally think that the survivor benefits are a major burden to US society (at least for those that are drawing more than they ever could have paid in). Would be really nice if it moved over to single payer and you could only draw as much as you paid in.

5. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Neglecting the child support part, since probably very hard to enforce in another country, does the retiree with a child under 18 who has a child out of wedlock get the SSA child benefit for that child? Could the retiree set it up and then just skip town with the benefit? Point being it might be good this guy doesn't get any additional money since it won't go to benefit the child.

• Like Like x 1
  6. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    if the child is out of wedlock a DNA test would be required. Obtaining a US citizenship is required before applying for Social Security. Lots of Doc entation required for both rigorous processes.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It would only be hard to enforce if the guy never had any plans on returning to the US. If it isn't paid then passport will not be able to be renewed and arrest warrant can be placed on him in the US. Not paying court ordered child support is a criminal offense. And I agree that dead-beat parents should be thrown in prison to keep them from reproducing more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    I'm curious if one could challenge the DNA testing using the new SCOTUS ruling that just came out dealing with passing citizenship that men and women MUST have the same standards and one can't have a burden the other doesn't have. Women aren't required a DNA test and its logical if the father was there at the time of birth to sign the birth certificate as well the exact same standards are required in passing citizenship. Its now considered unconstitutional for one gender to have a different bar then the other in such cases.

• Like Like x 2
  9. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    As it should be but I wonder why that would change the DNA requirements? DNA tests can be done for the mother as well as the father and proof would need to be shown that the child was born to the mother. If a birth certificate existed but there were no other hospital records would a woman need to have a DNA test?

10. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Possible, IF the bar is DNA testing. I would think the bar in this case is the doctor signing the birth certificate witnessed a particular grouping of cells leaving the woman's body. It is very unlikely he was there when the man had cells leaving his body to supply his portion...

• Funny Funny x 5