Dumaguete Info Search

US sends Battleship to Philippines while China sends Peace Ark

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by daanlungsod, Nov 23, 2013.

1. daanlungsod

daanlungsod DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +83 / 11
    When words fail; Mending fences with China | Opinion, News, The Philippine Star | philstar.com

Carmen Pedrosa (mother of Al Jazerra's Veronica Pedrosa) says: 'Filipinos cheered when the USS Washington steamed into Philippine waters to show its might and power. It is described as “the second of two battleships in the North Carolina class,” in Wikipedia and the third ship named in honor of the 42nd state.**There was praise for the speed with which the battleship was dispatched to the Philippines. But there were also skeptics who wondered why the US should have to send a battle ship with a huge contingent of soldiers. These remained musings of amateur political analysts.'

Wikipedia really says: "USS Washington (BB-56) was a North Carolina-class battleship launched in 1940, decommissioned in 1947, and scrapped in 1961"

Duh.

2. Lee from Canada

Lee from Canada DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Lol I believe those US ships were already in Manila .. As for China nice response time

3. San Miguel

San Miguel Ring Ring. Who's calling?

Ratings:
    +5 / 2
    My wife is from Leyte, the people were cheering because they had no food and were drinking water contaminated with dead bodies not yet picked up. You fail to mention the USS Hope the largest hospital ship in the world arrived providing medical aid. The Marine helicopters on board were able to reach isolated communities to assist desperate survivors. I believe the ships originated in Hawaii. I wonder how many ships were dispatched by the British Commonwealth? Perhaps the Americans had an agenda maybe trying to corner the coconut market.

4. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    The British (UK) have done their part and continue to do so, Australia I believe is the nearest Commonwealth Nation, have also responded. Maybe we are trying to corner the Banana Market.

5. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    [​IMG]

6. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1

7. San Miguel

San Miguel Ring Ring. Who's calling?

Ratings:
    +5 / 2
    This was a tragedy of huge proportion. We personally have multiple family members and friends who have lost everything are living under tarps and struggling to survive and rebuild. We have friends on Samar a family of 5 who remain missing. The international aid was immense and should be commended and yes Roger I agree the British commonwealth stepped up in a huge way. The exception may be China and The Philippines itself. I do not think it is necessary to poke fun at Americans or any nation that provided assistance. We should count our blessings that Dumaguete did not take a direct hit. Had that happened I wonder what the attitude would have been?

8. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    Mike, a lot of people are still logged as "missing" because of the limited communications at the moment. But some families who feared the worst have been re-united at Villamoura and Cebu. As the situation improves, let's hope that some good news comes of your friends on Samar.

9. Charlie

Charlie DI Senior Member Restricted Account Veteran Coast Guard

Ratings:
    +417 / 128
    From what I have read and or seen on TV a number of the missing are likely already buried as unknowns. I have not seen or heard a number yet but it sounds as though quite a few were buried with-out identification. So perhaps there are not as many still missing per se as is being stated. Very sad but some will likely never be identified. Hope for the best.

10. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    San Miguel,
    We have found out that our closest friends here in UK have also family missing, a total of nine persons.
    Also today at our local Church, a special mass was said for the victims of Yolanda, a collection plate over flowed to help.
    Liverpool and Wirral (2 Area's nearby) collected and dispatched by Red Cross, two lorries of clothes, tin food etc.
    Hope this reassures you that people do care, I understand your anger and frustraition at times, logistics need to be sorted to place Aid where it's needed first, not an easy decision for Army/ forces when there are so many desperate people.
    May those who have lost their lives rest in peace....JB