Dumaguete Info Search

USA Gun Laws debate - questions ?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by kiwiobob, Jan 16, 2013.

1. kiwiobob

kiwiobob DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Watching the USA Gun law debates on TV is a fascinating experience.

Several things I have not heard discussed yet are:

1.............in what year was the constitution drawn, written and signed ? - Answer - 1776

2.............does anyone know what year is it now ? - Answer - derr, derr, derr, derr, ??????????

3.............what type of guns were available to the market in 1776 ? - Answer - single shot, muzzle load, flintlocks.

4.............what type of guns are available to the market now ? - Answer - ANYTHING that kills quickly, rapidly, and often with a minimum of effort spitting out mulipiole rounds per second repeatedly.

Surely, if the US founding fathers were here now today, they may consider for a few minutes about making some changes to the Constitution perhaps?

Jefferson, in his explanation speech included words like - " common sense ", but I doubt any of the objectors to the proposed law changes has ever read that.

All the NRA and their supporters seem to be saying - Oh no,they are going to change the 2nd amendment and take all our guns away so the USA Government can screw us "

WOW.

And I thought that the USA was an intelligent, civilised Western Society............... lol

What do all you Yanks here in Phil think ?

2. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    IMHO, it seems a law that says guns can be allowed only at home or at a gun range - but no automatic weapons - would be acceptable to many (not sure about majority). Deer and bird hunters can chase the two-legged ones. (maybe birds only have two legs but you get the point)

3. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Firearms are dangerous, they are engineered and built to kill.

But as history has shown again and again, the one thing that can be more dangerous than an armed populace....

Is a disarmed populace....

4. OP
    OP
    kiwiobob

kiwiobob DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ?????????????????? what an odd thing to say without back up evidence or facts Manzanita ?????????????????????? very strange and ambiguous, oh well, I am sure you know what you mean..................and I guess you are one of the NRA members......... lol

5. joseph domaille

joseph domaille DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    LOL i was waiting for someone to start this one, WHY the hell dose anyone want a AK47? ban every thing above a hand held pistol except police SWAT ARMED FORCES ect. The country cannot be held to ransom by the gun lobby ,someone has to bite the bullet (pun) and start showing the guts that is going to be needed to stop the bloody killings , Australia brought back all guns after the Port Arthur massacre and have not had a large shooting sense
    A buy back may blow out the budget on USA
    cheers

6. OP
    OP
    kiwiobob

kiwiobob DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sure Pat O, and how many deers need to be shot with automatic weapons, and also birds and bears, and cougers and ducks etc.,, really, if a hunter cannot go hunting with a bolt action rifle, and bring down game, he should stay at home with his slippers and pipe, because the animals do not shoot back................ lol last I heard.

7. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Fully automatic weapons are already illegal for the most part. The public, and the legislature do not seem to comprehend the difference between semi-automatic and fully automatic. Semi-automatic is one pull of the trigger for each round. Fully automatic is one pull of the trigger for multiple rounds fired. Fully automatic is what the military uses. Semi-automatic is what most police forces use and what is available to the general public.

As a current example, the wonderful senator from California, Mrs. Feinstein, currently has legislation drafted to make the use of grenade launchers and fully automatic weapons illegal, when they already are and have been! Duh! Maybe they need to watch the movie Forest Gump - "stupid is, as stupid does." They don't get it. and likely never will.

8. OP
    OP
    kiwiobob

kiwiobob DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It seems that perhaps, you, knowdafish, may have have missed the point............... lol

9. Knowdafish

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    How so? They have legislated, and made the same laws over and over, and do not enforce most of the laws on the books now, kind of like the Philippines. More laws will not accomplish anything. Chicago has some of the strictest gun laws in the entire U.S., yet has one of the very highest violent crime rates. The problem is not guns, and you can't legislate them out of existence in the U.S. It won't happen.

10. Knowdafish

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    As a foreigner I don't expect you to know U.S. history, but if you did you might understand. Being able to defend ones rights from anyone who wishes to take those rights away is highly valued in the U.S. It doesn't seem to be so highly valued in a lot of other countries.