Dumaguete Info Search

VA wait time likened to wait at Disney

Discussion in 'Military and Veterans' started by Cletus, May 24, 2016.

1. Cletus

Cletus DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +357 / 107
    Quote:
    Veterans Affairs Secretary Robert McDonald on Monday compared the length of time veterans wait to receive health care at the VA to the length of time people wait for rides at Disneyland, and said his agency shouldn't use wait times as a measure of success because Disney doesn't either.

"When you got to Disney, do they measure the number of hours you wait in line? Or what's important? What's important is, what's your satisfaction with the experience?" McDonald said Monday during a Christian Science Monitor breakfast with reporters. "And what I would like to move to, eventually, is that kind of measure."

McDonald's comments angered House Speaker Paul Ryan, who tweeted out Monday afternoon, "This is not make-believe, Mr. Secretary. Veterans have died waiting in those lines."

VA secretary: Disney doesn't measure wait times, so why should VA?

As one who has waited in those VA hospitals it is not exactly the same. But look on the bright side, many of the VA hospitals now have solar power.

2. KINGCOLE

KINGCOLE DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +984 / 443
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Just make the existing centres where the first referral is done. Then issue each vet a voucher to attend the nearest hospital or centre closest to their home, that can adequately deal with their condition. Then you could do away with 90% of all the bureaucracy and layers of management.

3. btween2worlds

btween2worlds DI Member Infamous

Ratings:
    +27 / 4
    Maybe it is Disney Land when people trust and believe the government and the government officials?

4. btween2worlds

Ratings:
    +27 / 4
    Why cant Vets just go to the place everyone else goes? Why does there have to be a separate system?

5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Because everyone else didn't swear to give their lives for the country?

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. btween2worlds

Ratings:
    +27 / 4
    So since the Vets have sworn an oath to give their lives for the country....... The country will take that life in a line of a substandard hospital?????? I think you misunderstood me. Wouldn't it be better for the vets if they had free access to the hospital of their choice? Wouldn't they be allowed to live where ever they wanted to instead of having to find a VA hospital and live near it?( I know of many Vets that plan around the VA locations) Why if you give an oath, do you have to go to a substandard hospital system and die in line waiting for an appointment? WOW not a good deal for vets. The President and Congress also give an oath and police man too but they get better health care. WHY?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I've been to some crappy VA hospitals that I'd never like to visit again and some very nice VA hospitals. I've been to some crappy civilian hospitals that I'd never like to visit again and I've been to some very nice civilian hospitals.

I believe there are options for those who do not live near a VA hospital, especially when emergencies are involved. I also don't think it is a substandard hospital system(?).....what exactly is it being compared to? Medicare or Medicaid? I believe it far exceeds those socialized medical care systems. It certainly isn't what you get while actively searching but it is better than the other examples of socialized healthcare systems the US has came up with.

Rye83
    This message by Rye83 has been hidden. This message may be off-topic or have violated forum rules. (Show message)
    • Trollin' Trollin' x 1
  8. btween2worlds

Ratings:
    +27 / 4
    I just think that vets should have a choice and not be locked into a government run system. I have been to many Military Base hospitals myself and got decent care for emergencies but other care was completely lacking.

9. Cerne

Cerne DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +538 / 199
    A non military interloper reports...as a doc interested in trauma I can report that hospitals in the UK/EU often prioritise vets. Certainly in my current hospital we are mandated to see, advise, treat anyone tagged on our system as a vet as a priority. That means targets between referral, first contact (this not Star Trek), assessment and treatment. We are also targeted toward positive outcomes within timeframes....payment by results. We also do the same for peri-natal patients as there are similar social and medical concerns with triage and treatment as usual. I.e. , wait your turn.

I don't have any objection to this type of system. I do have objections to the wars our governments chooses to get involved in. Most victims (vets) are just simply ordinary working folk, in uniform due to family tradition, need to earn or sense of patriotism (crudely put) - they are certainly not the Blairs or Bush's of this world.

BTW, is between two worlds the guy that was recently banned? Just a thought.

Back to my Rum,

Cheers,

C

10. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    C. What makes you think he has been banned, his Account is still alive as far as I can see.

• Like Like x 1