Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: vaccinations

1. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,636 / 2,899
    There is a well proven vaccine for the flu - just that due to mutations (antigenic drift) they need to change the vaccine annually. There is no cure other than the body's own immunity and, without the vaccine, many will die (and many without vaccination in poor countries do die) annually.

The common cold is caused by over 200 different strains of virus (including coronaviruses) - too difficult to produce a vaccine against them but it is generally a mild disease anyway and the body's immunity deals with it in most cases.

There is a vaccine against Dengue - but it has some quite major problems (I would not use it). It covers the four types of virus causing Dengue Fever. New vaccines are being developed.

Also, without vaccines the world would be facing MAJOR problems with smallpox, polio, measles, hepatitis, rubella, mumps, diphtheria, HPV, meningitis, yellow fever - and many others.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Philpots

Philpots DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Agreed. I am happy you just wrote that because I was wondering how I could reply to it without being banned. Opinions such as those are seen all over the popular media and they are always followed by posts showing just how inaccurate those types of posts are but just keep on coming. Sometimes I think people post this stuff not because its what they believe but because they like to provoke argument. I have had injections against all sorts of stuff throughout my 81 years. My kids have. My grandkids and now my greatgrandkids have. All my friends, work associates their friends and everyone elses friends and out of all the people I have met and know, I know of no one who has suffered any severe reactions or death from them. I firmly believe the risk is so small that the risk of not having them far surpasses the risk of having them. Thats my opinion and I stand by it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  3. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,636 / 2,899
    I agree in general about your view of that article - but any new rushed vaccine has to be thought about. Once it is inside then any damage may be irreparable. I am a great believer in vaccines but just want them tested thoroughly first - if not then the present figures for illnesses and deaths due to the virus itself could seem minuscule in comparison.

My hope is they can adapt something current which has already been well tested (but obviously not the part about it containing the new virus).

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,586 / 1,017
    That sort of explains the 86 avg. IQ for the Philippines. Students from your school and other private schools here should score higher which might indicate the average IQ for most is actually and sadly lower.
    A couple of years ago my wife’s niece had no 4th grade public school for a month while her teacher went on a Boys Scout event.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,483 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Not only ignorant but:

willful ignorance - Wiktionary
    en.wiktionary.org › wiki › willful_ignorance

Noun. willful ignorance (uncountable) (idiomatic, law) A decision in bad faith to avoid becoming informed about something so as to avoid having to make undesirable decisions that such information might prompt.
    English · ‎Noun

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,161 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    It was not needed here then. Do you remember when the sick Chinese couple came through here and then went to Manila where the male companion died? It was the first COVID-19 death outside of China.

The local health authorities did their job of contact tracing and isolated everyone who was in contact with them. The tricycle driver, hotel staff and the resort staff in Dauin. Although the authorities wanted him to come into the hospital, the driver of the van chose to isolate at home which was his right under the law.

The point I am trying to make is that the knowledge of what to do existed well before this. It is the truly ignorant that fail to get it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,636 / 2,899
    Good question.

I assume you are talking about pathogens and not physical diseases caused by other factors.

A foetus/baby acquires immunity from the mother in two main routes:

1. From her blood whilst a foetus, where the antibodies and other substances cross the placenta into the foetus via the umbilical cord.
    2. From her milk after the child is born.

As the male does not carry the foetus or breast feed it, then there is no passing of immunity from father to foetus.

But it is possible the father might pass on some form of ability to produce an immunity in his genes - but that is a minor consideration.

The immunity obtained from the mother is not long-lasting and so children require vaccinations.

Unfortunately, although the father does not provide any immunity to the child he can GIVE diseases to the developing foetus; e.g. as in the case of HIV, causing AIDS. This can also be acquired during birth from the mother.

As the placenta allows useful materials to pass from mother to child, such as food, oxygen and antibodies, it also allows harmful ones to cross - thus the foetus can be addicted to some illegal drugs by the time it is born or has been affected by the mother smoking or through alcohol use.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,413 / 1,264
    Good Idea.
    When they come out with a vaccine for Covid-19 I will be at the back of the line. The very back.
    There are so many conflicting articles out there. Some are obvious garbage, some end with "we have to save lives" others end with "the economy must be saved". A few articles seem to be science based but honestly the are above my pay grade. My background is mostly math, physics and electrical.

There was a hearing in Congress last week. Dr. Fauci testified; The CDC has an office in China, they work very closely with the Chinese virus people studying viruses. Fauci was personally aware of Covid-19 on January 03, 2020. My opinion is the governments of the world sat around trying to decide if their country would be effected. The virus was running rampant through Italy and nations around the world didn't do a d*mn thing.

For weeks all we here is China Bad, China hid the facts. It's bio-warfare and on and on ...gag me with a spoon for F sake.

There is a huge push to develop a vaccine. I'm afraid we will have some half baked solution thrust upon us unsuspecting people. Truth is a scarce commodity lately.

I have faith in the scientists in the back room working away. Unfortunately they are not the people doing all the talking.

I'm not willing to subject myself to a politically driven vaccine.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,796
    Blood Type:
    O+
    You are joking, right?

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    You could have eliminated the word "nonsense" and I would have agreed perhaps. You are living in a country where religion is not "nonsense" to a vast majority. That might be considered "insensitive" diba?

• Agree Agree x 2