Dumaguete Info Search

vaccinations

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by filmguy, May 19, 2020.

1. you_have_been_removed

you_have_been_removed DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +261 / 53
    unless they do the final year exam privately, they wont get the credit as the DEP. Ed will cancel awarding grades for public/private schools, as they dont allow anyone to pass out their age group eg if no schools open for 2 years, no one will graduate to the next grade, this school of yours is just blowing smoke so they will continue to get paid, but the school year wont be validated

2. you_have_been_removed

you_have_been_removed DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +261 / 53
    I agree wholeheartedly with what you say and you make very valid points
    you just quoted the students shortcomings, what makes you think the schools will have all the resources that the students will lack, substitute your 1000 students for teachers and see how you get on.

we have seen in the last 4 months how they react, make decisions, follow blindly, blame everyone else, make rash decisions, pray, blame a little more, if you read a lot of the reactions to keeping the schools closed , the overwhelming majority that agree with keeping them closed (but their rationale for doing so is up their hole) is the best strategy, the net result of keeping them closed as opposed to opening them, is they might not be better dancers or catholics

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,630 / 2,895
    So how do they produce a vaccine which functions to destroy the virus or make it unable to attach/penetrate the host's cells without using some part of the virion (virus particle) and then awaiting the host's immune response?

If you can come up with an answer you will be a billionaire. Also, do the same for all the other vaccines which work in the same general way (but have already been proven to have very low negative side effects) and you will be a trillionaire. In fact, apply this method of curing diseases (in plants as well as animals) without the risk of any side-effects whatsoever, and you will own the world (and can be President).

In the meantime, think if you personally want to avoid any new vaccine or medicine until it has been tested out on a majority of other humans - on that I will agree.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Philpots

Philpots DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Sounds to me he is one of the anti vaccine brigade. well if that is what he believes ... fine .... but i think there will be very few who agree with him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,630 / 2,895
    I agree in general about your view of that article - but any new rushed vaccine has to be thought about. Once it is inside then any damage may be irreparable. I am a great believer in vaccines but just want them tested thoroughly first - if not then the present figures for illnesses and deaths due to the virus itself could seem minuscule in comparison.

My hope is they can adapt something current which has already been well tested (but obviously not the part about it containing the new virus).

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I get the want of a vaccine, but I would like to see a good cure once you get it, something to knock it out.

Sometimes vaccines just aren't reachable. The Flu, the common cold, Dengue, no vaccines, but even though some still die from these, for the most part we all recover because of treatment and cures.

Vaccines are very controversial. A cure for an illness that is proven to be effective is not in most cases.

7. Philpots

Philpots DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Agreed. I am happy you just wrote that because I was wondering how I could reply to it without being banned. Opinions such as those are seen all over the popular media and they are always followed by posts showing just how inaccurate those types of posts are but just keep on coming. Sometimes I think people post this stuff not because its what they believe but because they like to provoke argument. I have had injections against all sorts of stuff throughout my 81 years. My kids have. My grandkids and now my greatgrandkids have. All my friends, work associates their friends and everyone elses friends and out of all the people I have met and know, I know of no one who has suffered any severe reactions or death from them. I firmly believe the risk is so small that the risk of not having them far surpasses the risk of having them. Thats my opinion and I stand by it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  8. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,630 / 2,895
    There is a well proven vaccine for the flu - just that due to mutations (antigenic drift) they need to change the vaccine annually. There is no cure other than the body's own immunity and, without the vaccine, many will die (and many without vaccination in poor countries do die) annually.

The common cold is caused by over 200 different strains of virus (including coronaviruses) - too difficult to produce a vaccine against them but it is generally a mild disease anyway and the body's immunity deals with it in most cases.

There is a vaccine against Dengue - but it has some quite major problems (I would not use it). It covers the four types of virus causing Dengue Fever. New vaccines are being developed.

Also, without vaccines the world would be facing MAJOR problems with smallpox, polio, measles, hepatitis, rubella, mumps, diphtheria, HPV, meningitis, yellow fever - and many others.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,161 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Where and when does one get this vaccine in Dumaguete?

10. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,630 / 2,895
    I assume you ask at the hospitals or wait for replies here from those who have it annually - I have never had it myself.

• Thanks Thanks x 1