Dumaguete Info Search

Valencia build - the sequel!

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by barryrio, Dec 29, 2017.

1. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Noreco dont take too kindly to people welding without a pole transformer,its against their rules. You can rent one from them for construction. If someone reports welding without a transformer they will stop you due to big power fluctuations.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. NYC

NYC DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I read this and was immediately confused. I think it's the terminology used in the Philippines. When YOU say "brownout," do you mean what Filipinos mean (which really is a "rolling balckout"), or what a "brownout" really is (a drop in voltage.)

I can see how a private transformer would avoid brownouts in the immediate vicinity of the public transformer. I assume that is what you mean, and you are using the terminology properly.

3. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    I'm using Western terms, brownouts (low voltage) can be avoided if you have a transformer with extra capacity. Blackouts (no voltage) require some kind of backup (battery or generator). My understanding is many transformers are oversubscribed in Dumaguete. To me a "rolling blackout" would be a situation parts of the distribution system are intentionally shut down to maintain the integrity of the entire distribution system during periods of heavy usage.

4. NYC

NYC DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Ok. We’re on the same page as far as terminology. Noreco does use the rolling blackouts to sell more power to regions that are paying more money to them than the locals. The natives call them brownouts, and are confused when I ask what is “brown” about their light bulbs being black?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Really? When you say paying more money, do you mean more per Kwh or do you mean on a usage basis?

6. Sedona

Sedona DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +673 / 102
    I had a Noreco transformer on a pole just immediately next to my house that was only being shared by a few other houses. When my contractor started doing a remodel project on my house they were told by Noreco that they could not use their welders unless a private transformer was installed. So, I paid for purchasing and installing a private transformer, which then turned out to be too much weight on the pole and the pole broke (one of the transformers fell and hit a passing car). So then Noreco had to come and put in a metal pole attached alongside the old broken wooden pole. But now the project is done and I am happy to have my own private transformer even though it was quite and expense.

7. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Just curious;
    What sort of money does a Transformer cost and do you have to pay to have it installed or does NORECO install on your behalf?

8. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    barryrio

barryrio DI Member

Ratings:
    +328 / 26
    Latest update: Light at the end of the tunnel!
    All units now done, bar a few touch-ups to the paintwork inside. Carpenters put the final touches to the cabinets in the walk-in wardrobes this week as well. Two of our Bindoy guys spent the whole week laying the gravel footpaths, leveling the blot to prep for landscaping and shifting heaps of gravel manually for the car park. All done with a shovel and a 5 gallon paint drum in scorching heat. I take my hat off to them. I spent the week drilling holes and hanging curtains, pictures and mirrors in the first two units. Same to follow next week for the second two. Noreco now have the signed certificate of occupancy and will finally connect late next week probably. A big thank you to Dennis next door who allowed us to tap into his electric for the whole build basically. Pics taken today. Landscaper will lay grass in the near future as all topsoil (9 truck loads) now in situ. Native hut installed also - took 20 blokes to manhandle it off the truck into position. Wish I'd been there to record that! Going well.

i 2018-02-28 11.25.38.jpg 2018-03-02 16.48.32.jpg 2018-03-02 16.48.50.jpg 2018-03-02 16.49.36.jpg 2018-03-02 16.50.54.jpg 2018-03-02 16.54.08.jpg 2018-03-02 16.54.32.jpg 2018-03-02 16.54.46.jpg 2018-03-02 16.55.14.jpg 2018-03-02 16.55.34.jpg

• Like Like x 6
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  10. Sedona

Sedona DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +673 / 102
    I believe that it was 36,000 pesos to purchase the transformer and have it installed by Noreco, there was already a pole right alongside my property. When the existing wood pole broke from the new transformer, they did not charge anything additional to come and install a metal pole.

• Thanks Thanks x 2