Dumaguete Info Search

Valencia Valencia-Dumaguete transport after 9pm price gouging or just the market?

Discussion in 'Surrounding Areas' started by DumagueteJohn, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I just want to clarify what you mean. There are taxis outside AT the airport. But outside OF that you cannot find one. Correct in your view?

2. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    There seems to be quite a few that do not understand the trike system and how it works between towns. Different trikes operate slightly differently depending on where their franchise operates out of and allows them to do, as assigned by the LTFRB. (Land Transportation Fare Regulatory Board)

Valencia trikes can only pick up passengers in Valencia, and Dumaguete trikes can only pick up passengers in Dumaguete (or close to it, the city limit). Trikes are easily identifiable by the number of digits in their number. Valencia trikes are 3 digits, while Duma trikes are 4 digit.

In order to get a P12 fare, you need to go down the hill and catch a Dumaguete trike at the city limit. The fare is P12, and it is not a special trip, it is a regulated route by the Dumaguete trike drivers assn. They have a four digit number, and will pick up as many passengers as they can fit on the way down, each paying P12.

The Valencia trike drivers are not allowed to do this under the terms of their franchise. Not if, but WHEN Duma trike drivers complained about Valencia trikes taking their fares under the P12 rate, the Valencia trikes would be losing their franchise rights and their livelihood.

Basically if you want a special trip, look for a Valencia trike (3 digit), the cost will be P150-P200. The trike cannot pick up any more passengers after it leaves Valencia, but usually will not pick up anyone regardless. It is a "special trip", and he will come back empty.

If you want to pay P12, get on a Dumaguete trike (4 digit) and expect it to pick up as many passengers as it can on the way into Dumaguete.

The drivers assns are always on the lookout for trikes from other towns stealing their fares, and report them. It is a cutthroat business, and after so many confirmed reports their franchise is in jeopardy, and the license to operate revoked.

Other surrounding towns (Sibulan, Bacong, etc.) operate similarly, but differently. There are "roving" trikes (go anywhere) and "route" trikes (cheaper, but can only pick up in certain places, and go a certain route).

Hopefully this will clear up some misunderstandings.

Larry

3. baltoed

baltoed DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +18 / 6
    Before I express my opinion I want to say I dont really have to deal with this.. I have a car like so many of us do.

That being said..

@Larry -you make sound points....

It sounds reasonable to me if the rules are the rules.. If those fares have been ok'ed by the city fathers as just and fare..and its posted that after 9pm the flat fare will be 100 or 150 peso..then no one can voice an objection..you live with it and you go on.. Does not mean you agree with it.. I never have agreed to gasoline prices or electric prices goingup..and down and up again..but I live in the defines and complain to myself.or others ..just like one might do here.. express an opinion.. we like to think of ourselves as permissionable people to allow multiple voice or opinion heard.

But..yeah there is a but...lol A few things are not clear Larry and maybe you know.. like IS the price raise permitted by law? has it been sanctioned? oked by all those that decide what is right? When you mention the pure cost of the ride back and forth Im going to assume that is under full weight of a haul coming back and thats when you gas up..so down its almost cost free( ok more cheap..dont wanna minse words here ) and back its expensive but the same distance.. I think they really should try to work out some better method of the *official border*.. As what your saying is its ok to get a ride to the border..then wait for another ( maybe never coming) trike in that area to give you a ride the rest of your way..thus your fare is 24 peso (2-12's) for the 12 peso fare prior to night fall.is that correct? No complaints at that cost level for sure ! ( by expats)

I cant tell anyone or even suggest that they consider different measures but i think they ought to find a better way.. Like ..down hill rides are cheaper than up hill rides..thats the big cost factor right? So I am truely left to the fact that *maybe* they like the fact that the downhill ride is more profitable and are accepting with the condition of employ that what goes down must come up? meaning their trike they take the ride down knowing two things..they must come home..and they can not by rule get a paying customer..so they can charge the 100 peso for the ride downhill and nver get a pay fare going up becuase they are not allowed.and dont really want one as it cost too much gas( they come back lighter and cheaper) .. that can be what is done by some if I can figure that out surely they can ..I cant give the drivers complaint more value than the riders complaint should I?

I think the rub to some expats is that they are of the opinion that only they pay this 1000 percent pay hike ( rounded off no calc handy ) ok go under the number 800 percent jump... and that is a big difference from 12 to 100 They have come to feel constantly that they are a MARK...pay more for the only reason being skin color.. That does happen.. all the time..every day many places..and knowing it doesnt make that big a pay jump *feel* differently. People take advantage.. and not just here.. In Hawaii I lived long enough to be considered* *local* white guy litterly it was because of my dark tan They rip off american tourist all day long.. hotels even.. dirty sheets.. anything to cut corners..they knew that the cost to come there was so much that anyone there now.. over ninety percent of the time will NEVER return so they didnt care. Honey mooners pay heed!

I digress sorry..ooops !!

I dont profess to know what should be done.but the outcome of the present day practice is perceived as unfair.. and I really do have the notion in my head that NO local will pay 100 peso for that ride..sorry .. I cant shake that out of my head and so it came down in this message here.. They simply can not afford it..but thus..you can say that most locals do not travel after dark.. ahah..then why does the trike driver work after dark?..to get the high fare from what is perceived as overpriced? Do only the unfair *bad* trike drivers work later?..oh hell no.. they need money thats why..Ok I dont get it..but thank God I dont have to deal with that one small factor of life here in the Philippines..

SUGGESTIONS?? I think one thing that might be done is that while they love to stop and pick up anywhere and anywhere a structed pickup and drop off point from town to town might be one way to fix that.. or a covered drop off point at the border so that drivers from both towns know that is the place to go get fares after dark and make all this go away?? The drivers make money..dont do the majority of the bad hill and know where to get fares after dark ..should work out well?? The dumaguete drivers know that they go up hill empty down hill with paid fare.. works out. Maybe even they post their txt numbers for a driver at the pickup points..those more hungry will get more fare But drivers of all types do sit a lot in places of known pickup the Border point could just as well become such apoint and a driver does not need the cost of a txt message..wait they are free incoming..easy fix then????.. Drivers always give us thier numbers when we used them..taxi and trike alike..

The traffic jams are indeed caused greatly wth the notion that is ok to stop everyone behind you at anytime so you can pick up and drop offf customers.. I have many a time been directly behind a jeepney in Ilo Ilo and Bacolod when they stopped damned near every 20 yards to do just that ! One driver can cause untold many blocks of backup ..and there are hundreds of drivers..hard to believe they all have license..( of course they do not ) its why they all hide from the *Crockadiles* ..aka LTO when they are making check points..

I dont know the mayor of Valencia but I do know the mayor of Dumaguete and he seems really approachable.. is there any time a meet up of concerned expats get with him? He seems to like the expat community in his town??

Just tryin to be helpful in this..not arguementitive..keep that to yourself please..

Thanks

Ed

4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Then I suppose if you want a ride for 12 pesos you won't mind if that trike is packed 10 deep and you have a few sitting on your lap. If you don't like it perhaps you should pay the special trip fee or not take public transport. It's not filipino logic, it's economic logic. It is impossible for a 150cc motorcycle with a side cart to go from hypermart to Valencia proper with 12 pesos of fuel.....absolutely IMPOSSIBLE. What you guys are expecting is absolutely insane and defies all known laws of physics. If I were a trike driver and you told me to go get the police you better net I would, and then I'd have the police make you pay for my time and fare going to the police and then have them shake you down for 5 times as much just for being completely out of touch with reality.

The only reason the trike drivers don't go to the police is when you say that is because Filipinos won't complain about getting shafted and are shy around foreigners.

5. oztony

oztony DI Senior Member Blood Donor

Ratings:
    +211 / 39
    Well said Larry , I own 2 Trikes and will certainly attest to the fact that once you pay for running costs a meagre existence is all that is left , and come on , fair go you can't expect these guy's to be running up the hill to Valencia and back at all hours for less than what it cost , if anyone is disgruntled with the fare charges , best , if you have no physical disability , to buy a scooter , and be at the behest of no-one , freedom so to speak ,

Tony

6. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    I don't think you get it, Ed. Nowhere in my post did I make any mention any price difference between before dark and after dark. I don't think the Dumaguete trikes run much after dark (the jeepneys also shut down soon after dark), so at that time you are limited to paying for a special trip. My next door neighbor, who is Filipino and lived in Valencia his entire life, pays the same rate I do for both the normal fare AND for someone to make a special trip for him. THAT IS THE GOING RATE, NO MATTER THE SKIN COLOR!

My 110 xrm which I rode for years, would cost me P30 to run to Duma and back with the wife on the back of it. No sidecar. Now, how could anyone with half a brain expect a trike to run to Duma and back hauling a fat @ss foreigner for P24? As Wrye said, it defies logic.

I don't have time to decipher and respond to your entire 400 word post word for word, but I have faith that if you study REAL hard, you may be able to figure this out on your own.

Here, let me try this;

Special trip = P150-P200, no matter the time of day, skin color, or number of passengers.
    Normal trip, with 10 or more other passengers = P12 each, shuts down soon after dark. Find it down at the city limit.

Buses, boats, and V-hires all operate much the same way. You can buy one seat for P100, or rent the whole d*mn V-hire if you want for P2000. If you are the only one going and you want the bus to leave, you simply pay the fare for all the seats. But the bus cannot afford to run for just one seat at normal fare.

Cheers!

Larry

7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Most of the time this "opinion" that they are being ripped off is just that, and opinion. What is usually a case (outside of the major tourist destinations) is a complete lack of know on what things really cost here and being under the impression that everything is discounted at the same percent as the booze, smokes and labor. That's simply not the case. Almost everything here is more expensive than your home country (well at least mine, the US). Food, electricity, rent, land prices, gas, used cars.....name just about anything here and I can show you how to get it cheaper or at better value in the US.

A common mistake and a red flag to a greedy trike driver is to ask, "how much" before you get in. With honest trike drivers 99 percent of the time you tell a trike driver where you are going, you get in and he will go there without questions. If he starts with "how much will you pay" it's best to just move on to the next trike. While greedy trike drivers are a minority in my experience, they are out there and you will occasionally have to deal with one.

As for us to say if the fares are fair or not.....well that's really a moot point as our suggestions will go completely unheard. The locals account for 99.9 percent of the public transport users here. If they found something to be unfair I see it as their responsibility to take it up with the local politicians. We, being foreigners, have little (read "no") say in it.

This is one issue that you either take it or leave it. Nothing any foreigner has to say or suggest about this will make the slightest bit of difference. It is what it is. If you don't like it buy a scooter or a car.....or walk.

8. baltoed

baltoed DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +18 / 6
    @ Larry..ok short version that I said was.. * I dont have to deal with it... I drive* & * I am trying to be helpful *
    sorry if my trying to shed more light on my comments confused you. ( THUS LENGTHY )
    ====================

@ Wyre83 :: you only need to read my above response to Larry..but I said * is what it is * .. in so many words up there prior to you.

but you did confuse me when you in one sentence say everything here is more expensive than in the US..and the next.but you can get it cheaper? I think everyone would ask you to talk forever on such good knowledge ..yanno?

there short and easy to decipher

\ maybe I should say *again* Im not trying to be arguementative but only helpful.. didja read that part? ..anyone?
    did you read where I said I dont know what to do>? did you read I said no one will listen to me or my suggestions? do you think you should tell me what I already said I know?

I finished with if you wanna argue..dont bring it to me.. I am not arguing..BUT look at responses.. stop singing to the Choir..and I thank you again..I wont post to this again.. I dont try to get the last word in..that is not winning the argument in my book..thats being a bully.. and I didnt make a post to create an arguement either..dont bring it.. I post this now only in hopes to *clear the air*.You're American's so you understand that slang..

Ed
    geesh...

9. oztony

oztony DI Senior Member Blood Donor

Ratings:
    +211 / 39
    Ed , I think everyone has their own opinion and are big enough to move on from this thread , probably easier to get your points through if you keep it a bit briefer , sheesh , I thought you were re-writing the Magna Carta there for a while , regards Tony

10. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    All that said, the pedi cab drivers can drive you crazy. I don't have ANY wheels, so I have to take the pedicabs everywhere or walk. Much of the time I just walk.

This is good advice. Asking "how much" is kind of a bullshit question. I find that they ask this question more often than not though. My reply to this answer is "the normal price" and they usually don't like that and just leave. If I do offer them something because I really don't feel like walking or waiting around, then they always want 10 pesos more than what I offer. The kids and the helper get the ride for 30. If I double it and offer 60, then they still want 70. If I offer the next driver 40, then that driver will take me for 50. Sometimes I get someone offering me a sky high rate apparently trying to get lucky. Then his friend with the grin on his face, knowing his buddy was shooting for the moon, will give me the ride for something much more reasonable.

I agree with this also. People think they are getting ripped off for X reason, but I look at it as a negotiation. That's how prices are set in a market. People go back and forth until they setting on a price. The seller will always go as high as possible, the seller will try to get as good a deal as possible. Sellers don't care who they are selling to, they will always try to use every trick to get more money. If a local senses that a potential Filipino buyer is from Manila and doesn't know the local prices, then the Filipino will get high prices also. In markets, knowledge is a leverage point. If you don't have knowledge of the markets, then the person on the other side of the deal has the upper hand.

Well, obviously _something_ is cheaper here or a lot of foreigners wouldn't be living here. Labor and rent prices are generally what you save your money on. The land is crazy expensive to buy, but you can rent the concrete block on top of it pretty cheap.