Dumaguete Info Search

VAW

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by Mom Miriam, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Mom Miriam

Mom Miriam DI Member

Pandemic-Surviving Oma
    Ratings:
    +209 / 8
    Blood Type:
    O+
    From a local newspaper, there's this published addendum news item about violence against women (VAW) but I'd rather not mention the foreigner's and the victims' names since it still is allegation...

A drunk foreigner allegedly assaulted two girls who were with friends at a bar along Rizal Boulevard past 3:00am last Wednesday, February 21, 2018. The victims reported that the suspect is a resident of West Balabag, Valencia and had physically attacked them without provocation. It appears the foreigner was able to leave before he could be apprehended because he could no longer be located at the bar by the time the authorities arrived along with the victims. The victims underwent medical examination to strengthen their grievance and complaint against the foreigner whose name they know.

VAW is a violation of RA 9262 (Anti-Violence Against Women and Their Children Act of 2004) that carries penalties of imprisonment and fine as high as Five Hundred Thousand pesos (P500,000.00), depending on circumstances.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I don't know the long nose personally but I do know the girls and the group they hang out with.

Now, I know drunk foreigners regularly cause problems but I have a REALLY hard time believing those two girls and their friends weren't somehow involved or antagonizing some sort of drama. Then again, the only Estonian I have met in Dumaguete was a confrontational drunk tw@t out looking for a fight. I suspect there was some level of mental illness going on with him. Not saying it is the same guy but....how many Estonians could there be in Dumaguete?

I wasn't there so I can't say for certain what happened but I suspect that everyone involved deserved a bit of what happened/will happen to them.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  3. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,609 / 2,891
    I don't think there can be any excuse for attacking "girls", other females or anyone else. If the situation is causing anger and/or annoyance, then walk away. People walk away from a fire, so why not from a situation which could be as dangerous.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. OP
    OP
    Mom Miriam

Mom Miriam DI Member

Pandemic-Surviving Oma
    Ratings:
    +209 / 8
    Blood Type:
    O+
    True. Let's hope things will get ironed out between that European and those girls.

5. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +954 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    Only knowing what I have read here, it looks like we may have a drunken Estonian who may have a mental health problem. OK, authorities can and will deal with the guy if they can find him. But what were these girls doing on the blvd at 3:00AM, getting in fights with drunken foreigners? Sounds like they don’t like the guy and want to run him out of town or throw him in jail. If it comes to that, who wins, the hookers or the Estonian who is probably thinking as the sign says “Duma-Got-Me”? Stay away from those hookers on the blvd. I’m sure if you refuse their services they can become VAW victims very quickly at your expense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I abhor violence against women mate, in the past one night, I was confronted by a spright young lass who would not take no for an answer, try as I may to get her to leave me alone she refused, and ended up grabbing my beer and tipping it over my head and punched me in the cheek. I retaliated by poking her straight in the guts from my seated position, winding her and doubling her up, and before she could hit me a second time the bouncers grabbed her and dragged her from the Club shouting, swearing and making threats against me telling me how she had done 4 years of Karate and was going to f**k me up!

Over the years I have come to learn one thing, and I will warn any woman, I will treat them with utter respect if they deserve respect, but come at me, and lay hands on me, that is another story altogether, if they want equal rights, and want to fight like a man, they had better be prepared to land on their @ss like one! At my age I now fully realise that NOT ALL women are dainty lil Ladies deserving of the respect of a gentleman...

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,609 / 2,891
    I totally agree, Brian. Whilst I abhor violence against anyone (especially women) someone who is attacked has the right to self-defence. I also agree that the behaviour of some females is morphing into that of the worse type of men - they should have looked at those men and realised that is no way to go.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Why Not closes and people start stumbling over to Prime around that time. This is usually when most sh*t gets started on the boulevard....or anywhere you have a lot of drunks hitting the street at 3am. I don't want to defame these girls but you can find them making that walk most nights of the week around that time.

I personally have no problem with these girls. I've hung out with them and had plenty of drunks with them. They are usually going to be respectful but really don't have any sort of filter between their brain and mouth. If they aren't into you they are going to tell you if you try to hook up with them. If you get an attitude about the rejection and start calling them names they won't pull that timid Filipino act. They knew this guy and his propensity towards violence (they knew where he lived). Walking away and ignoring him was what should have happened but I don't think that was the case.

I could be wrong though. The Estonian I met seemed very unstable. He could have just decided to haul off and knock someone out....because "crazy".

9. OP
    OP
    Mom Miriam

Mom Miriam DI Member

Pandemic-Surviving Oma
    Ratings:
    +209 / 8
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Sometime last year, I joined young relatives in a family get together and, after a late dinner in a restaurant by the sea, we gallivanted along Rizal Boulevard until early morning to enjoy the full moon and the sea breeze. In December, all Central Visayas personnel of a government agency converged in Dumaguete to hold their office Christmas party at the Perdices Coliseum and then they dispersed afterward to gallivant in the city, also along Rizal Boulevard until morning to enjoy the sea breeze. So, as some of us locals know, walking along Rizal Boulevard at 3:00 AM does not necessarily indicate loose inclinations.

The two assaulted girls in the news report could be presumed as well to be decent ladies just enjoying Rizal Boulevard by night with friends. However, the news item implied that those two complaining girls reported the drunk foreigner's nationality, his full name and even his residence address. Acquisition of such private and personal information could not have transpired that easily during an unfriendly bar encounter that became violent. It appeared to me that, even before the incident, the drunk foreigner already knew the two girls to some extent and that the girls, hookers or not, also already knew him to some extent. With possible prior relations as premise, I surmised that the incident was a case of RA 9262 violation. That is why I started the thread as VAW.

Certain qualifying conditions are required by law for a physical attack against a woman to be categorized as VAW. Without these conditions, the harming act can not be VAW albeit it still could constitute some other punishable crime. Here is competent opinion to clarify the concept of VAW, as published at RA 9262 may spare a man who hits a woman but other laws may not - The Manila Times Online

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018