Dumaguete Info Search

Very new to Dumaguete

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by ChEng, Dec 25, 2018.

1. liannastar

liannastar DI Member

Ratings:
    +160 / 38
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I commend you for being honest about your experience. It's great that you were open minded enough to at least give it a try!

Making the move and living here is not for everyone. In fact I would say it's not for most people, especially those who are not open minded and cannot handle hardships well. Good luck on your next venture!

• Like Like x 1
  2. liannastar

liannastar DI Member

Ratings:
    +160 / 38
    Blood Type:
    A+

I love san carlos. I've done the trip from near murica/bacolod on the ecotourism highway through don salvador mountains down to san carlos. If you haven't tried that please do! Beautiful views as you come down the hill overlooking the mountains and ocean into san carlos.
    What I love about san carlos is no jeepneys! Makes it way more quiet and peaceful.

If you haven't yet, try taking the small ferry boat into sipaway island from san carlos. Beautiful beaches and not crowded at all. Kind of reminds me of guimaras, not quite as nice, or big, but similar.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. mrossbach

mrossbach DI Junior Member Infamous

Ratings:
    +13 / 1
    Every time I have been to my home in Bacong....I get sick. Last time... and I mean last time....no plans to return....I came down with C-DIFF.....It took my Drs. 6 months to get me me healthy back in USA...It is not a vacation any more...its a death sentence....

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. liannastar

liannastar DI Member

Ratings:
    +160 / 38
    Blood Type:
    A+
    The experience for me was similar. However, on my last trip I, nor did any of my family get sick. It seems to start off very bad, and get better as I visit more often. Maybe my body is adjusting?

5. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Very likely. When I first arrived here I was getting frequent LBM - I am sure my immunity adapted reasonably quickly to the gut bugs and such infections are very rare for me nowadays. Now I find I have more frequent and serious chest infections than I did in my home country - but then, I am getting older day by day.

6. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It's is not healthy to breathe burning plastic for sure, according to the law in the Philippines it's not legal to make a fire to get rid of your trash, but again no one enforces the law, and the problem will not be solved before there is a proper trash collection

7. liannastar

liannastar DI Member

Ratings:
    +160 / 38
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I think preserving nature is low on most Filipinos list of important things. It's simply more convenient, and more importantly, more economical to burn than throw away things properly. They seem to have a "live for today, tomorrow is tomorrow" attitude for the most part as it relates to how they handle their life. For example, I hardly ever see Filipinos put a full tank of gas in their cars or motorbikes, because, which I assume is because they don't have the money, and even if they did, they wouldn't since they have more pressing matters at hand.

• Like Like x 1
  8. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Wasn't sure what c-diff was so a bit of googling.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/c-difficile/symptoms-causes/syc-20351691

Interesting that antibiotic use are a frequent cause of c-diff, considering most people take antibiotics to kill bacteria.

Medication-associated risk factors include:
    • Currently taking or having recently taken antibiotics
    • Taking broad-spectrum antibiotics that target a wide range of bacteria
    • Using multiple antibiotics
    • Taking antibiotics for a long time
    • Taking medications to reduce stomach acid, including proton pump inhibitors
    How it can be spread through feces is a bit scary to think about.

9. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Every time a population of anything meets something trying to kill it, those most able to survive do so (Darwin's 'Survival of the fittest') - so those remaining are more resistant to that which tries to kill them.

Therefore, over the years antibiotics (over-prescribed in humans AND even used in animal feeds) have wiped out most bacteria EXCEPT those they cannot kill - that population expands but is now resistant to those antibiotics. Thus we are down to a very small number of antibiotics able to treat certain diseases. It is very difficult to find new antibiotics and so we are going back to pre-antibiotic days!

10. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    How long was you in the Philippines? I have been ill about 3 years ago (Food poisoning)