Dumaguete Info Search

VERY URGENT WARNING

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Notmyrealname, Oct 21, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Except this is not a flu virus - assuming you are referring to Sars-Cov-2.

2. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Very crafty you are. The topic "very urgent warning" could be a topic about anything. It is vague enough that anything can be said as long as it sounds urgent. You have made a place for yourself. A place where you can be off topic while using exclamation points, bold fonts and all caps.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  3. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I know, but the principle is basically the same. Hopefully a vaccine will have the affect it had on smallpox and some of those other little nasties that ran around before. Time will tell.

4. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    The problem with the flu is that the vaccine protects against the 3 or 4 most prevalent flu-virus strains from last year. However, since it is by no means certain that those same 3 or 4 strains will cause most flu infections this year, the vaccine doesn't guarantee that you won't catch the flu even after getting a vaccination.
    Washing hands and wearing a mask might even offer just as much protection (but getting a flu-jab seems like a good idea anyway if you're at risk of complications).

Let's just hope the vaccine against Covid doesn't end up like the flu vaccine, offering only partial protection.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Toto

Toto DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +666 / 205
    The
    There are discussions in other groups that the vaccines may only offer partial protections and for limited periods of time. We have to wait and see. There's also new advice out that old folks need a stronger dose of the current flu vaccines, so in the future there may be different dosages of flu shots.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. OP
    OP
    Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    You may be aware, the problem is usually 'antigenic drift', but it may 'drift' (or shift) only a little - thus the body may have some immunity to new strains because of a percentage of similarity to past ones (via passive or acquired immunity). With some viruses immunity may be short-lived (and it is looking that way in Covid-19) or very long-term (even a lifetime).

Covid-19 could become another 'seasonal flu' like illness and is always with us and changing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    From what I have read, immunity after recovering from Covid-19 is not well understood yet.
    There has been some research done on antibodies prevalence in former patients and the results don't look promising (hardly anyone with antibodies still present 6 months after recovery).
    However, that's only part of the immunity story. The human body also has T-cells, which serve as a sort of "memory bank" against previously encountered viruses. These T-cells can quickly mount a defense in case of renewed infection.
    The very very few cases where people have twice gotten sick with Covid-19 are too insignificant.

Significant continued mutation of the SARS-COV2 virus similar to the flu virus, would obviously pose a serious problem for bringing it under control with vaccines.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert, so I may have understood some of this wrong.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Your posts on Covid-19 are actually extremely good.

And am I correct that a few months ago you posted that, not having English as a first language, you could not compete with others here? If I remember this correctly, then clearly you very much under-estimated yourself.

• Agree Agree x 4
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2020