Dumaguete Info Search

Question Village dogs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by ShawnM, Apr 6, 2015.

1. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I have a Belgian Malinois, Dalmatian, pup from that cross and 2 small dogs from a neighbor; 5 dogs in total so it should be obvious me and Cherry love our dogs.

We spent the past couple days in the village where there are way too many dogs. They belong to no one , they just hang out where there is food. I felt bad and saw a couple dogs that could be OK if in a better home, I do believe dogs are more about environment. The wife would probably tell to pound sand as we have too many dogs as it is so I enlisted the kids to pick out 2 for me to look at...both tried to bite me, one d*mn near close to my face.

That was quite an eye opener to me as these dogs want nothing to do with humans, most likely as they've been treated and don't know if they could ever be pets.

In most countries they would be rounded up and eventually euthanized; thoughts???

Shawn

2. Best Answer:
    Post #8 by Show Pony, Apr 6, 2015 (5 points)
  3. Ten Twenty Lenny

Ten Twenty Lenny DI Member

Ratings:
    +109 / 3
    Rabies a big factor had a couple of them appear here lately

4. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    I can agree with your Concerns here Shawn, we have a similar Problem, now I was Under the Impression that Negros has this facility, as usual it should be the Barangay Captains duty to see to this. Ours suggested a phone call to the Veterinary Department. We did and all they would say was it will be dealt with when things get out of hand.
    I guess that means when some Child is mauled or a case of Rabies breaks out. :eek:

JP :bag: :wideyed:

5. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    If you need rabies vaccination, the before the bite, not after the bite program, the Provencal Hospital does the shots. There are three shots, the first and third is free, and the second one is about 800 P bought outside the hospital, and difficult to find the dosage. The dosage has to be purchased in "twos" so you have to find another person to share the expense or the second shot is 1,600 P. The shots are painless and much better than getting bit and then wondering... hmmm will I take half of dozen painful shots in the stomach or not for the after bite program?

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    These dogs are pests, especially to kids who are terrified of them. I did hear about a policy of shooting stray dogs if they are on the streets after dark by the police but never heard of this happening.
    A neighbor has a few dogs who think they rule the roost and quite often they are roaming the streets after dark fighting.
    They have learnt not to come near hear due to a good catapult which I use on them.
    They are covered in mange and disease, people should be banned from keeping animals who don't care for them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. KINGCOLE

KINGCOLE DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +984 / 443
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I have an English friend whom after returning from the UK after a couple of months, was attacked by one of his two dogs. Fearing for his childrens safety, he called the Police whom arrived promptly and shot the first dog they saw. You guessed it, they shot the wrong dog. There is no moral to this story.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  8. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    That is so sad to hear :sorry:

JP :bag: :frown:

9. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,376 / 1,261
    Best Answer
    Rabies is a real problem here. I heard there are about 2000 death in people every year and who knows how many go unreported.
    I have two experiences so far, neither was good.

First I had a nice pet who's rabies vaccinations lapsed. I was lax in keeping them up to date because our dogs never go out of the yard and no strays come to visit. That was a big mistake as I never considered that bats and rats come on my property uninvited.
    The dog started out not wanting to eat and a few days later started with strange behavior. When I tried to pickup the dog to take it to a vet, it attacked my hand. I got 22 punctures in my hand in less than 2 seconds flat. I've been bitten by dogs before and wasn't to worried. Now I have a lot more respect for them. It felt like my hand had been through a meat grinder.
    The police came and shoot the dog for us.
    At the hospital (SMUC) they tried to sell me a 40 K peso instant antibody shot which didn't make sense as the dog was in the pre-contagious stage. They could not give a good explanation for why I needed the 40 K shot so I settled for a series of seven painless injections at 2 K peso each and a tetanus shot.

The second experience was not good either.
    A friends 3 year old kid came over with his mom. The kid started running around screaming (as kids will do) and the dog jumped on him thinking they were playing. The kid got a cut on the scalp and mom of course freaked out. So off to SMUC again. The dog showed no sign of rabies and was up to date on vaccinations. I assumed we would get the cut cleaned and a tetanus shot.
    Wrong, Wrong, Wrong. The doctor wanted the 8K peso instant antibody shot (price based on body weight) and a series of 5 shots at 2K peso each. What bothered me was the Dr. asked if the dog had it's second shot which indicates the Dr. is more than familiar with the process of rabies, vaccines and antibodies.
    My wife asked So WHY the need for all those shots? The dog is not rabid. She was told it's the Health Departments policy. Truth or not I don't know.
    We were not going to argue the Dr. because God forbid something went wrong.
    My friend (an Aussie) said why waste all that money for nothing your dog is not rabid and the answer is to keep his wife happy.

10. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,376 / 1,261
    I'm getting old.
    My point was protect your pets with vaccinations.
    You can not avoid liabilities if your dog bites someone.

Google rabies symptoms so you can identify rabid animals. The symptoms are not too hard to spot before the animal is contagious.
    Getting someone to kill the animal should not be that difficult. If one stray in the pack has symptoms, kill the all IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    Just as an addition to this I was always under the impression that Dumaguete vet Department offered free shots to Dogs, but a friend has just sent me this which I do actually remember coming up so they are No more but look at the cost of the Shots that are available.

DAILY STAR: Negros Oriental

Of course it is well over 1 year old now so I will try and find out the new Costings.

JP :bag: :thumbsup: