Dumaguete Info Search

Electronics & Appliances VPN

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by charlyB, May 15, 2024.

1. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,124 / 334
    I am thinking of getting Nord VPN, can anyone recommend it, does it slow down your internet speed by a lot or just a little ?

2. OP
    OP
    charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,124 / 334
    I copied the price below from the Nord VPN website.
    Is it just me or does anybody else think that 3 "EXTRA" months implies that they are free ?
    Because they are not, 2 years at 3.99 24 x 3.99 = 95.75
    2 years + 3 month 27 x 3.99 = 107.73

[​IMG][​IMG]Plus plan
    2-year plan ($3.99/mo) + 3 EXTRA months

$107.73
    Save 71%
    $375.03
    Tax country:Philippines
    VAT 0%$0.00
    Total
    $107.73*

3. you_have_been_removed

you_have_been_removed DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +261 / 53
    if you have something serious to hide then choosing NORD might be the way to go but plenty out there can do the same thing for half the price...........question you should be asking yourself is who owns these vpn companies in that outside forces can disrupt them at a whim so nothing is sacred or safe online. (I am in China and have two subscriptions but anytime there is a big meeting here in Beijing the vpn can be knocked until after the meetings so who owns them really and if you contact customer service they explain that they are at the mercy of the local government.....but having VPN does not slow down or speed up your computer

4. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,617 / 2,893

I have used NORD for over 3 years and am pleased with it.

The only hassle has been recently with low bandwidth on the laptops such that removing VPN totally was the only way we could live stream movies ...... BUT then PLDT had to fix their damaged cable to our house within 3 days of that issue, so guess wherein I think the issue lay?

The pricing you quote is interesting: The first two years we paid about $2.40 per month and then were surprised when renewing that the price had climbed a lot (the "we have you now trap") but we were willing to fork-out about $7 or $8 per month - we did only one year (that also contributed to our new higher price, of course) so that we could look around for a better price next time (we actually preferred to stay with NORD as it is often Rated the best on many reviews and gets around most problem areas (e.g. BBC iPlayer).

We renewed again this April but a few days before we did so we received an email "giving JUST 3 DAYS to take up a SPECIAL OFFER of $69.36 for a 2 year plan". That's $2.89 per month!

Not sure what was happening but we grabbed it!

Note: They offer 30 days trial with full refund if not satisfied.

Last edited: May 17, 2024
  5. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,617 / 2,893

6. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,617 / 2,893
    Whilst I was writing the above, my wife was checking NORD's website and came up with Standard Plan (which is what we have) at:

1 month $12.99

1 year $59.88 = $4.99 pm

2 years $81.36 = $3.39 pm

But the more you research the more different prices you will find - this could be due to the fact that NORD is also the acronym for "National Organization for Rare Disorders"

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: May 17, 2024
  7. OP
    OP
    charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,124 / 334
    I have cyberghost VPN and when i am connected to it my MBPS drops so low that i can't even stream, that's the reason i am going to change.
    I spent almost a month on back and forth emails with their "support" telling me to try this, try that, change this setting, change that setting, even use a different speed test until they finally sent me an email stating,

Please be advised that it is normal that your speed will be affected because the UK location is far from the Philippines and there is a possible peering issue with your ISP that is beyond our control.
    In the meantime, kindly use the Best Location server to have a better connection but if you will access services that are only available in the UK, please expect a slow connection with it. I appreciate your understanding!

I didn't understand, another month wasted that i will never get back.

8. dadof3at1ce

dadof3at1ce DI Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +113 / 11

I used it while there, still do occasionally in the USA. I have absolutely no issues with it, and it doesn't slow anything down.

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. OP
    OP
    charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,124 / 334
    I went ahead and got the Nord 2-year subscription $107.
    Guess what, when i connect to the UK server my Mbps drops to roughly half of the speed before connection, this is the same on my laptop and android phone.
    I contacted the support and now i am in the try this try that scenario, oh and disable your anti virus protection, really ?
    It also has an annoying habit of auto connecting to Hong Kong that i can't see how to disable.

10. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +2,003 / 1,090
    It's important to remember that VPNs do not work in the same way as comprehensive anti-virus software. While they will protect your IP and encrypt your internet history, but that is as much as they can do. They won't keep you safe, for instance, if you visit phishing websites or download compromised files.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1