Dumaguete Info Search

watch out

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by alex, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,977 / 1,087
    Guess I am one of the lucky one's. Even if I gave my wife all my life's savings she will cherish our vows till death do we part and I am 100% confident that
    will be well into old age. Please don't sell the Filipina's short..... there are some great Ladies whom can make this commitment and make you a happy Man. I feel
    compelled to say I would not ever Marry again and if I ever did she would be a Filipina!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. DaveD

DaveD DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I agree. There are many, many good people here IMO many more good than bad by a very large margin. For some reason though it seems a fair number of foreigners marry for all the wrong reasons (bar girls, freelancers etc. the list is endless) and then end up paying a heavy price. As with anything anywhere in the world look before you leap! Do your homework etc... Many gems here if one is willing to look hard enough and work hard enough to win their hearts. Most Filipino's believe in lifelong relationships/marriage. If you want a keeper you need to earn their respect and love just like you would anywhere. I would recommend courting them for at least 1-2 years before you even consider marriage or a lifelong commitment. Just saying :whistling:

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. horizon155

horizon155 DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor

Information Tech
    Ratings:
    +121 / 44
    Blood Type:
    A+
    love the term "courting them" as that is a phrase frequently used by locals here haha -

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Canadianized

Canadianized DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +224 / 27
    I was working on the oil rigs near Alice Texas one time and living in a mobile home. A tex-mex neighbor stopped by and asked if he could borrow $2. A few days later he paid me back and invited me to his home across the street. He lived in a shack with dirt floors. He had a pit dug in his back yard and grill over it. He was grilling chicken that night. He passed me some tequila in an old jar. I happily drank it. He was a good man and he introduced me to allot of Tex-Mex bars in the area. It is often not what you have but who you are that really counts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Canadianized

Canadianized DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +224 / 27
    Absolutely, many Filipinas are happy with genuine love and a little security.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. DaveD

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    5 Courtship Rules Modern Dating Could Use (Yes, Really) | YourTango or more accurate IMO from Courting - definition of courting by The Free Dictionary
    As in:
    Idiom: pay court to - 2. To seek someone's love; woo.

v. court·ed, court·ing, courts
    v.
    tr. - 2. To try to gain the love or affections of, especially to seek to marry.

I agree! Love (IMHO add a little romance) and security go a long way towards making a happy relationship!

DaveD

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. jim787

jim787 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +434 / 38
    Bringing a house gift, such as a bottle, is also customary in the U.S.A. We even have pot lucks! In Asia, this can cause the host to lose face. This does not explain the apparent greediness of some filipinos, who feel entitled to take the leftovers home.

Edited by a moderator to place new post under previous

8. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    Never ran into anything but delight when I brought something in the Philippines. To think that all those many times I was damaging them!

• Funny Funny x 4
  9. DaveD

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Neither did I. I usually ask the woman if there is anything I can bring or at least what will be served so I can bring something that compliments the Hosts offerings. If they really don't want me to bring anything and I know the spouse I then usually pick up a little something for them. (SO/Wife/GF)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1