Home & Garden Best Posts in Thread: Water Pressure Systems

1. hawk263

hawk263 DI Forum Adept Blood Donor Veteran Army

Retired
    Ratings:
    +488 / 81
    Blood Type:
    A+
    We have a 1500 litre storage tank, which is good for 3 - 4 days (3.5 people) and a pressure tank holding about 50 litres. It's the size of the pressure tank which affects the pump cycle time. The system operates at about 40 psi. You will also need a non return valve between the storage tank and the pump and a float switch in the storage tank which will turn the pump off when the water level in the tank is too low.
    Noel at Citi Hardware can advise and fit the system. Excellent guy.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    You could also try noel at city hardware,he does an excellent job also and does not overcharge. I know alot of other expats here have used him.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Larry

Larry DI New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Best Answer
    I went through the process myself (and successfully installed a pressure system myself) and now consider myself an expert. You hear so much different advice and get so much wrong information it is astounding!

I actually researched for like a couple of months, reading every article and and going to every hardware store, looking at the equipment and talking to people for information. As i started to get educated i realized so many of the workers at the hardware store are clueless! they say things as if they know what they are talking about but they don't. Others just know one way to solve the problem and are so confused if you ask them about an alternative.

If anybody want's to make use of my knowledge i would be glad to consult for them, i guarantee i can answer your questions. Here are a few basic things to keep in mind.

1. people get confused between storage tanks and pressure tanks, you need both. The town water goes into the storage thank. Then comes the pump, then the pressure tank. By Law you MUST have a storage tank, your water can not go directly into a pressure pump.

2. Gravity systems are useful only for preventing disruptions. They will not give you good pressure. Basically you get about one pound of pressure for for every two feet of rise. Thus if, for example, you have a tank 10 feet above your shower, you will only get 5 pounds of pressure. Decent pressure is 20 pounds or more. Typical systems here in the Philippines are set to 20 to 40 psi.

3. There are many options and configurations. But the most basic one is simply, town water into a storage tank, storage tank into a pump, pump into a pressure tank, pressure tank into your home.

4. Here are your basic considerations:
    a) Type of storage tank (steel, stainless, homemade, plastic)
    b) Size of storage tank
    c) type of pressure tank (standard or bladder)
    c) size of pressure tank
    d) Which motor you should buy. (capacity and brand)

5. Here are the components that make up a basic system.

a) Pipes, fittings and cut off valves
    b) Two check valves (allows water to flow in only one direction)
    c) storage tank
    d) pump
    e) pressure tank
    f) Low water cutoff switch
    g) pressure switch.

6. Expect to pay about p25000 for a basic home system including installation.

7. It is so worth it! It's one of those things (the bad water pressure) that you don't realize how annoying it is until you solve the problem! For me it was money very well spent.

8. Need help? It's a shame for all the knowledge I obtained to go to waste. Send me an email: LarryElterman@Gmail.com if you need some help.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2018
  4. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    i've installed a few pressurized systems but i'm not an exspurt or have i experienced the following myself but your system components are sposed to last longer if you get a larger tank so the system recycles less often.

also, a larger tank will get you more use during a brownout and longer showers at a more steady pressure..

• Informative Informative x 4
  5. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Exactly what we use,a 4 cubic meter thick walled concrete tank about 2 feet above pump with a 10 foot run to pump and pressure tank,works well until the municiple pump goes down. We also have a sand filter before the meter.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    My observation is that pumps wear out faster if they have to suck the water and push it uphill. So I have a plan (if I ever get around to it :angelic: ) to put a water holding tank at the highest level that the municipal water pressure will fill on a good day. That is about equal to the ceiling of my second floor CR.

Then I need only attach a pressure system that feeds from that tank without having to suck and pressures the water downhill so has gravity as an added assist.

The water holding tank will fill slowly and at certain times of the day will not even get any water (be sure to have a one way check valve to be sure the water does not leak back into the municipal supply), but so long as the tank holds 1,000 liters (more or less) then I can go a couple days without it being fed and one good night will fill it up again.

I know this system works because a house I used to rent had this system and it had the added advantage that during a brownout you still have gravity feed water pressure.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Senjenbing

Senjenbing DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines Navy

Milliways - at the end of time and matter
    Ratings:
    +416 / 198
    Attached is a schematic of the water supply layout I have - relatively simple and ensures a supply even if/when the municipal supply fails. For info - the tank is on a 20ft tower but the elevation is not absolutely necessary. The pressure pump is set to kick in at about 15-20 psi (& off at 42 psi) so even if the municipal supply pressure drops we get good pressure at all the outlets.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. DiverTim

DiverTim DI Member

Engineer
    Ratings:
    +125 / 11
    I have installed my system in Dauin now 7 years. I have a deepwell and submersible pump. Well is 120' deep and pump is at 100'. The deepwell pump fills a 800 litre SS head tank positioned 18' above ground level, Standard Blue 3/4 hp pressure pump fills a pressure tank. I found that the crappy brass non return valves with swing flap that you can buy in most places were NBG. The pressure pump was short cycling causing pump wear and additional power useage. I now have fitted a Simmons 1'' Check Valve USA manuf, (Polaris Supply) with rubber seat, no more back leakage and worth every penny. Deepwell pump is controlled by float SW in head tank with manual overide facility. In times of brown outs I can bypass the pressure system. I have a fully prepared spare pressure pump ready to fit. Deepwell pump was quality product from Italy, with correct 60HZ motor.

9. Larry

Larry DI New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    You usually need two check valves. One as the town water is entering your system, to prevent the pressurized water from going back into the town supply. The other is between the storage tank and the pump, as with most pumps, after the pump finishes, the pressure can push the water backwards through the pump into the storage tank. Some pumps may prevent this, so you would not need the extra check valve.

10. USEXPAT

USEXPAT DI Junior Member Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +25 / 5
    Blood Type:
    O+

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1