Dumaguete Info Search

We expats are a motely, often disgruntled bunch. What do you miss most from home?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Bebasguy, Jan 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    There is always Greenwich. As far as respect I get much more of it here than in the US.

Larry

2. i.rabskie

i.rabskie DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well you can always take a weekend off and go to Cebu. Most of the supermarkets in the malls offer imported products. You should be able to find some of those things on your list.

3. simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    That's only if you are here newly and your taste buds have not adjusted yet to the new tastes, after a while you will find yourself to get very experimental and you will forget the stuff from back where you came from.
    That does not mean that we will not enjoy a good meal anyways if it's made the way we remember it from our places of origin but I had so many good meals here(not from restaurants)that I don't miss any foods from back home, in fact, sometimes I am surprised that before I believed that I could not possible survive with out some special stuff from home but sure enough most of the time I found a substitute.

I absolutely have no cravings for cheap pizza...

And some should maybe remember why they came here(like, why leave paradise), if they did not liked it where they came from, why didn't they change that there, instead of trying to change the things here?

4. Onggoy Diyos

Onggoy Diyos DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Greenwich? Have you ever been there? I wouldn't call 20 times the price of a Western pizza "cheap".

How can you call be pointed at, stared at, shouted at, over-priced, rude statements, racism, etc. more respectful than in the West?

5. Onggoy Diyos

Onggoy Diyos DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sure, if you can afford it.
    I'm sure I've been here longer than you.

Get used to the new tastes? The food here has no taste!

6. simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    There is only one solution for you then, go back where you came from or learn how to cook yourself...

7. tomtorific

tomtorific DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 30
    That's two solutions....third is have taste buds tested......everything has taste.

8. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Actually, yes I have been to Greenwhich. The wife and I were there last week, P199 for a 14" pizza, we had leftovers. I guess by your calculations you spend P10 for a pizza back home then? Sounds delicious!

Pointed at, stared at, shouted at? Yes, I get that at Christmas time, the kids seem to think I'm Santa Claus, lots of fun. Overpriced? rude statements? Racism? Not much, certainly not as much as where I came from.

Perhaps it is attitude?

You are probably not going to make it here, best just run back with your tail between your legs now, and save yourself from all the horrible people in this nasty place.

Larry

9. OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    YUCK! The cardboard box weighs more than the contents...and I'm betting has more flavor. Quickmelt isn't cheese...

10. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    A simple minded solution

Seem like a good and simple solution to me. I love cooking my favorite dishes here, and I enjoy the Filipino Food at the local restaurants. The "imitation" US food usually leaves something to be desired. I would certainly agree that leaving some place you don't like is also a good solution. Life is too short to live with bad food, bad living, or a unhappy attitude.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.