Dumaguete Info Search

We expats are a motely, often disgruntled bunch. What do you miss most from home?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Bebasguy, Jan 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Perhaps you forgot my wife and I were the ones there teaching Bob to make tortillas! The only on who does the job well? I don't think so!

:wink:

Larry

2. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    Obviously you have not met a good cook! At least make some personal adjustment in the food such as adding Chile sauce.

3. tomtorific

tomtorific DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 30
    Larry and His asawa also make killer salsa(by His own admission):smile:

4. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    No, we just expect them to start using herbs, spices, and seasonings in their food! The cheap crap is generally just sugar, lemongrass, and maybe 1/2 a ton of bay leaves. I'd be happier then hehe.

But my real annoyance these days with the food is more so at the buffet setup type places. The food is cold, overcooked, and old. I can't stand eating at Cangs, FoodNet, and other similiar places. But Lee Plaza does a fine job and I do eat there at times as theirs is more often fresh and warm still.

5. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    An adventrue in daily Living

I agree that is why I moved here also, to experience the adventure in daily living. I hope my previous post was not taken as a complaint but more of a statement that we have to take responsibility for ourselves. If you don't like something;, change it, or you own attitude. I made a decision before moving here, that it was going to be easier to change my attitude and acceptance of things than to change a whole country of people to my attitude. It has not always been an easy process especially when driving here, but I have managed and have enjoyed my last three months living here. I visited Manila for business last week, and do not have the fortitude to accept that city on a constant basis. Dumaguete is easy, and I appreciate all the expats here who reached out to me and made my life good here. It has been a learning experience and adventure.

6. simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    Yep, had one given to me as a present(sort of) and I did not like it at all, just not what I expect a Pizza to taste like, my favorite in Town is "NEMAS" on Hubbart Avenue around the corner of "AM-PM", best Wood Oven Pizzas ever!!!
    And at home "Simple Mind Special", only for members of the Household and Guests...

7. i.rabskie

i.rabskie DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Anyone of you who came from a rich country and moved into a third world country like the Philippines, please remind yourselves that there IS a reason why our countries are categorised. On the contrary to what some arrogant foreigners believed, professionalism here in Europe hardly exists too. I lost count dealing with people who gave me dumb answers especially in public offices. The way I see it, marjority of the people in the whole world are just less-knowing or ignorants, is all. Believe me, living in a 'rich' country does not make one any happier. Living with a community where more than half of the population is swallowing anti-depressants to get a 'high-standard of living' is not what I had in mind when I moved in here. So... I will go back to the Philippines with my Belgian husband and kids!

... to truly enjoy Philippines, one must learn how to break their barrier and get into that 'I'm poor but I'm happy' attitude - even if one is not poor. :smile: . Arrogance is one of the things we Philippine folks hate.

NB: ask your friends or family to send you tomato seeds so you can grow them yourselves.

8. Onggoy Diyos

Onggoy Diyos DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I do cook for myself. Who would cook for me? Though that doesn't change the fact that food here has no flavour...

9. Onggoy Diyos

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I pay 50 for a pizza back West. Incalculably more delicious, 24". You've never eaten a Western Pizza?

Where on Earth are you from? I thought you said the States. I've lived all over the USA and never seen people act like that. At least none that didn't get arrested or shot.

Well, it's a bad attitude. There is no excuse.

I'll never make it here? I've probably been here longer than you. Besides, I'm a Filipino. Perhaps you should get off my land and run away, before TBS get you.

10. Onggoy Diyos

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you
    Isn't the point of this thread to talk about things we miss from "back home"?

I'm sorry, but maybe you guys have not been to America yet. The food there is a fraction of the price than here, often times free, and the flavour level cannot be compared with.

How can anyone say they despise DiGornio Pizza, Ben & Jerry's icecream, German beer, that sort of thing? And love plain white rice, dried fish, air-filled sorbetes, and sewage-water San Miguel?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.