Dumaguete Info Search

We expats are a motely, often disgruntled bunch. What do you miss most from home?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Bebasguy, Jan 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onggoy Diyos

Onggoy Diyos DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, thank you. There are many different places here. There are indeed some beautiful provinces. Just try finding work in them though...

Not sure what all the people here do for work, but my job has me trapped in Cavite. Anyone lived here? I've been trying to transfer to Cebu for years now, but I think they like torturing me. If I can finally make it to Cebu, I'm thinking of Dumagate. I do 80% or so of my work via my macbook. I only have to make an appearance 4-6 times a month.

Still, expensive rice is not more delicious than meatballs, cheese, tomato sauce, bread, pasta, sausage, etc.... Just answering the OP.

2. Onggoy Diyos

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The question was about what we miss the most. Didn't list an exclusion on food.

I used to live in East Asia, before the Philippines. Also America, Europe, the UK, and the food had flavour, and was generally cheaper, if not free. I MISS that.

3. Onggoy Diyos

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The question was what we miss the most. I miss cheap, healthy, fresh, delicious food. You can't get that here. I miss it. I'm responding to the question. Why don't you come off it and try answering yourself instead of complaining about what people miss? I mean, what's the point/

4. Onggoy Diyos

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's not the cook. It's just the ingredients. You can only go so far with rice, pork, fish, hotdog, rice, pork, fish...

I use a lot a vinegar. For sterilization and flavour. I actually invest in all the gallon jugs of all the sauces I can. Cheaper that way.

Still...

5. tomtorific

tomtorific DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 30
    I have lived in the US the past 59yrs.....here in PI for 1+. The only FREE food I know of comes from a green metal container....You may know it as a dumpster.Have You priced good quality beef or fish or even vegetables there lately? I cook for one when I am in the US and I still need to be very choosy in buying and preparation. My pinay asawa cooks the most delicious meals for a fraction of the cost. Last night We had blue marlin steaks, a mango, onion chutney and the obligatory white rice..masarap. BTW....when did the PI come into Your possession?....I am sure You have the proper documentation to claim as "Yours"

6. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    I get my favorite German beer here in Restaurants cheaper than the actual price in Restaurants back (former) home.

However, reading some posts, all the things you know and all the places you lived at, you must be around 143,68 years, so who I am to question your wisdom ...

7. tomtorific

tomtorific DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 30
    Digornio Pizza(in Your grocer's freezer) isn't exactly haute cuisine..IMHO

8. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    I will assume that is $50.

If the food you cook comes out bland, I would suggest you are not a very good cook!

But then, monkeys were never taught to cook, maybe they are not evolved enough. "Onggoy" does mean monkey in the US too, right?

Larry

9. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    Yes, the original question was about what was missed by expats from their home countries. You then go on to say that you are a Filipino, so in fact you are home. You sing the praises of Ben and Jerry's and then you verbally trash your own country. Was the object of your ravings just to try and impress on the amount of places that you claim to have lived in, or are you some stateless Nomad desperately seeking an identity ?

You claim that food is cheaper in the UK ? Brace up, me old flower, this might come as a bit of a shock. A 3 course meal with wine here is roughly 500-600 peso. In the UK it would be 3000-4000 minimum. Trust me, that's not a rough guess on my part; I used to own pubs and restaurants in UK. A beer here is about 45 peso, in the UK it's now about 250 for the same thing. And so it goes on. I wish I had known of your well guarded secret of where the free food is in UK. I might have stayed in my native London a bit longer ! Seems like you're depriving some village of its' idiot.

10. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    You are separating the UK from Europe, or did you mean Ukraine?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.