Dumaguete Info Search

We need our Domestic Workers....Respect their rights!

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Torilian, Jul 28, 2013.

1. simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    Now you state the obvious point, the mess we are all in, is because you and I didn't vote...

2. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    I have a feeling that the vote doesn't matter that much any more when a candidate can get 140% of the vote in a district in Chicago, it makes the news once and then is buried. I knew most of the people supposedly working for us were crooks, but I had some slight hope that the crooks were slightly smarter than that. 140% sheesh, at least try and keep it believable. I guess those people really believed in the old joke, Vote early and vote often.:p

3. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Easy Question

That is easy answer: The one who pays you the most for their vote. I was in a local resort with another foreigner discussing the concept of vote buying. We decided to take an informal poll. 100 % of the employees had participated in vote selling in some form. The prices ranged from 50 P to 2,000 P.

For an interesting read on why Filipino politicians are corrupt this is a post on Yahoo. Larry[/QUOTE]

That is easy answer: The one who pays you the most for their vote. I was in a local resort with another foreigner discussing the concept of vote buying. We decided to take an informal poll. 100 % of the employees had participated in vote selling in some form. The prices ranged from 50 P to 2,000 P.

For an interesting read on why Filipino politicians are corrupt this is a post on Yahoo. 8 Ways Filipino Politicians Justify Corruption

I learned a new Filipino concept this week that may explain why this nation does not progress as fast as it neighbors. "What is bad for you is good is for me." Is there a wonder shy there is so little team workd her. Read the last excuse for corruption in the article above.

4. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Since I became of legal voting age 30+ years ago, there has been only one candidate that i would have voted for, had the people in power allowed him to get that far. However, they never let it come to pass. Ross Perot.

Larry

5. simple mind

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    Perot denounced Congress for its inaction in his speech at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C., on March 18, 1992. Perot said:

"This city has become a town filled with sound bites, shell games, handlers, media stuntmen who posture, create images, talk, shoot off Roman candles, but don't ever accomplish anything. We need deeds, not words, in this city."

Sounds like a place I am familiar with...

Come on Larry, do you still believe in the tooth fairy, one guy against the current...

Let's face it, we were to dam busy having fun or trying to keep the family afloat and get the kids trough school, than to go and "unite" in force to go the right way, but nobody nows where that is or if we might think we found it, where it may lead, according to stuff I read, 2/3 of the Human Race is "irrational, stupid, narrow-minded, and egoistic" tell me how to sort that one out...

6. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

Well it's pretty clear that one man, even Ross Perot, cannot make changes. If that one man were to try and has any chance of succeeding they will get stepped on by the powers that be. Perot had a very good chance of success, and had quite a following.

George Wallace was another hopeful of years gone by, but they didn't run him off, they just shot him.

The movie "Tucker, the man and his dream" shows a good example of the little guy trying to make positive changes, and getting stepped on.

Larry

7. Charlie

Charlie DI Senior Member Restricted Account Veteran Coast Guard

Ratings:
    +417 / 128
  8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    You need to understand this bill is not just about their rights, but also of employers rights and what is expected from the helpers. According to this bill most helpers could legally be fired or would simply quit if all the requirements were forced upon them. This law does not help them any. It forces them to pay into the government here, which is not the most transparent and trustworthy one in the world.

9. brian ausie

brian ausie DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +32 / 2
    yup it happened in AU with a forced superannuation fund payable by the employer at 9% of gross wage, same crap

hey sorry Charlie had to put my pesos worth in:D

10. simple mind

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    I apologize, I should have known better...

At least we are back on topic...

We, my wife and myself, will get the Philhealth deal done next Wednesday and I will report back here what happened...