Dumaguete Info Search

We need our Domestic Workers....Respect their rights!

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Torilian, Jul 28, 2013.

1. blueskies

blueskies DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +204 / 35
    Few years ago i paid my Philhealth 120/ month. This year 1,800 thru a liaison office(i had bad experienced going to government offices)O-| for the whole year my husband and daughter included. I sent my Helper to register cost her 150pesos here in Valencia, they advised her that next year she has to pay 300pesos. Other helper/gardener is still free of Philhealth covered from his mothers membership until 21yrs of age. Now, about SSS i will only pay half(helpers agreed to pay the rest) they make double rate than the city. Holidays- they get more than what they're supposed to have even when their neighbor's cat died.

2. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Update on Philhealth Coverage.
    My wife's 26 mo. old nephew was discharged from Silliman Hospital today after spending a full week there with Pneumonia. The total cost was 4000p for the doctor and 1800 for the hospital and meds. I understand Philhealth pays a higher percentage for pneumonia care.

3. DDJohnn

DDJohnn DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Pretty sure this guy is a Government clone shoveling the official propaganda line. By the way it's 'domestic', not "DOMESTRIC".
    This is another reason to start looking for alternative places to live and invest, Cambodia comes to mind. In Cambodia you can get a one trip visa for $300 that's good for the whole year and allows you to work there or start a business. You can own apartments above the ground floor. Most importantly the government is not trying to restrict your freedoms as the new administration is doing here.

4. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    You just made three posts on different subjects, all negative. Cambodia beckons you. I'm sure you will be happier there!

Larry

5. DDJohnn

DDJohnn DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tell you what if YOU leave I'll probably stay; things will be much better, least on this forum.

6. OP
    OP
    Torilian

Torilian DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Very good decision. Enjoy Cambodia. It may help you if you change your attitude when in foreign land.

7. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    I am quite certain that I have been here much longer than you now, and will be here much longer after you're gone...

Larry

8. Larry_H

Larry_H DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Something that needs a bit of clarifying perhaps. Regardless of what you pay your Domestic Helper, you also provide them with a home to live in and food, perhaps other things as well. With the requirement that the EMPLOYER pay the benefits for any DM receiving less than 5,000 a month salary, as well as make sure they don't/can't work more than 16 hours a day (minus meal time)...understand that you PROVIDE them with more than 5,000 a month in food/salary/other benefits. One way around this law is to 1. Don't make it a requirement that they live in your home. 2. Set their workdays to 6 days a week/ work hours to 12 hours a day. This would be much more than that because you are going to give them at least one hour for each meal break. 3. Don't provide them meals, instead, give them a meal break sufficient for them to go get their meal elsewhere, and 3. Pay them 5,000 a month. This accomplishes a few things, most importantly, it takes the burden off of the EMPLOYER to provide anything other than salary and it also lets the EMPLOYEE manage their own life and finances according to their own wishes/needs. Just a thought...(during my many hundreds of hours of internal debate about where to retire and what lifestyle I would want, I read laws....lots of laws that might become issues in my country of choice. This law just happens to be one of the laws that I read and studied in great detail...Philippine Labor Laws)

9. longtymerinPhil

longtymerinPhil DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Justice and laws are not applied equally to Foreigners,

does not matter how well you think you know the law.
    I for one would feel uncomfortable telling my helper she has to go outside to eat her meals while I am eating in front of her.

10. Larry_H

Larry_H DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    The law is the law...I too would be uncomfortable asking a helper that just cooked my meals to go out and get their meals elsewhere. The object of the law is to get Domestic Workers to be "included" as bone fide employees with all the rights, benefits, and responsibilities that go with that. They have been taken advantage of for too long. Mostly by their Filipino employers. I was merely pointing out the government wants these people treated the same as any other employee at any other type of business and that if you "choose" to set their work day/hours and benefits vs. responsibilities as any other employee would be, you are free to do so and still comply with the law.