Dumaguete Info Search

Valencia Best Posts in Thread: Weather and water supply

1. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,096 / 332
    We had one delivery of purified water some time ago and the taste of the cleaning sterilising fluid whatever they use was still in the water as if they had not rinsed out the bottles enough before filling.
    We told the in charge and it's never happened again.
    The upside though is that we know they use sterilising fluid. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 4
  2. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    There was a major outbreak of diarrhoea in Sibulan a year or two ago and this was put down to a contaminated water supply.

The water supply cannot be trusted in terms of health. Locals may drink it but they will have greater immunity to local microbes - they probably had many fevers and alimentary canal infections when growing up. I had similar issues when I first came here but they decreased rapidly after a few months.

As for tooth brushing - I use tap water but always rinse my mouth afterwards with either hydrogen peroxide or salt (NOT mixed) diluted with bottled water. I think swallowing a small amount of tap water would not be dangerous as the stomach produces hydrochloric acid but it would be unwise to consume large amounts. This includes not using tap water to make ice cubes (how do they make purchased ones?) and to be aware that eating salads probably involves ingesting tap water used in washing the components.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    I think using tap water in small doses (as in, brushing your teeth and using it for washing salad) actually is a good way to teach your stomach to handle the common local bacteria. I wouldn’t go so far to drink the tap water though - treated water is cheap enough ( though that also sometimes tastes a bit “off”).

• Agree Agree x 2