Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: West vs East Franchises Identical vs Not

1. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    Bo's. all the baked goods come from cebu for both here and the ones in Cebu. (now over 100 branches)..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bo's_Coffee
    <<Bo's Coffee is a Filipino coffee and coffeehouse chain. It was founded by Steve Benitez in 1996 in Cebu City, Philippines. The company operates a total of 91 outlets throughout the Philippines, with about 30 of them located in Metro Cebu, where it is based.[3] Bo's Coffee sources coffee beans locally from farmers from Sagada, Mountain Province, Mount Kitanglad in Bukidnon, Mount Matutum in Tupi, South Cotabato, and Mount Apo, ...>>. He thought of the idea when in college,
    <<After attending various seminars and training and indications that it was not a viable venture, he stubbornly decided to open Bo's Coffee in a small space in Ayala Center Cebu in June 1996.[7] Two months before the shop opened, he was left alone when his two business partners backed out.[8]

Benitez bought his first coffee machine from a coffee exhibition show in Singapore for 65,000 pesos and hand-carried the machine in his flight going back to Cebu. Starting on an investment of 100,000 pesos,[9] the business did not produce any profit for its first three months on daily sales ranging from 300 to 1000 pesos>>

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Well I'd say it does matter for your health whether those 5000 calories are all burgers, coke and donuts, or coming from a well balanced diet that doesn't send your blood sugar level on a roller-coaster ride all the time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    Remember ????:
    <<Super Size Me is a 2004 American documentary film directed by and starring Morgan Spurlock, an American independent filmmaker. Spurlock's film follows a 30-day period from February 1 to March 2, 2003, during which he ate only McDonald's food. The film documents this lifestyle's drastic effect on Spurlock's physical and psychological well-being and explores the fast food industry's corporate influence, including how it encourages poor nutrition for its own profit.

Spurlock ate at McDonald's restaurants three times per day, eating every item on the chain's menu at least once. Spurlock consumed an average of 20.9 megajoules or 5,000 kcal (the equivalent of 9.26 Big Macs) per day during the experiment. An intake of around 2,500 kcal within a healthy balanced diet is more generally recommended for a man to maintain his weight.[3] As a result, the then-32-year-old Spurlock gained 11.1 kilograms (24 lb), a 13% body mass increase, increased his cholesterol to 230 mg/dL (6.0 mmol/L), and experienced mood swings, sexual dysfunction, and fat accumulation in his liver. It took Spurlock fourteen months to lose all the weight gained from his experiment using a vegan diet supervised by his then-girlfriend, a chef who specializes in gourmet vegan dishes.>>

I know that 5000 cal per day is excessive, folks, but don't expect me to respond to raves for a macD's diet. We are allowed macD's meals ONCE a month, mostly for the fries. <grin>

• Like Like x 3
  4. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    It's a calories in versus calories burned game in general. The guy was eating about 5000 calories a day and his "exercise" was walking 5000 steps, essentially not exercising. I also wonder about things like sleep. He's going to put on weight. I wonder if he did the same experiment but ate other food, would being overweight cause the same issues. He should have done a second experiment where he maintained his weight and ate McD's food to further clarify if it's the actual food or the excessive amount of food that cause his issues. Maybe it was a combination of both. He was certainly in control of what he ate, not McD's. Is it that much different at a nice sit down restaurant where the waitress comes back and asks what else you need or do you need desert? At McD's, once you get past the cashier you are home free. :happy:

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    McDonald's (and pet much every other food franchise) adjusts their recipes and menu to cater to the local populations tastes. McDonald's in the US, Germany, Dubai, Singapore, Philippines, etc all have slightly different tastes and menus. Even within the US you can sometimes have sightly different menus.

That was a ridiculous and completely pointless documentary. If I ate 5000 calories of only grilled chicken breast sandwiches every day for a month I would be in just as bad of shape as that guy was eating that McDonald's diet and would have gained just as much weight. A calorie is a calorie is a calorie. And eating only one or two for items every single day is going to leave you malnourished. The guy was a complete idiot...or he was not and knew that he was going to get sick and chose to lie to everyone for views and money.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1