Dumaguete Info Search

KEY Thread Best Posts in Thread: What brought you here?

1. Chingon

Chingon DI Member Restricted Account Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +53 / 5
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    i Divorced in Spain, backpack travelling 1 year in southeastasia, falled in love with people...sold everything and come back to live here. Why Dumaguete? Good for my business.

• Like Like x 3
  2. NYC

NYC DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Came to the Philippines the first time visit the birthplace of my spouse (Manila) and stayed there on vacation. It was nice, but I never thought for a second that I would consider living there (and I still feel that way.) The second time I traveled to the Philippines I skipped Manila (except for NAIA, of course) and came to Dumaguete to attend an international church conference. I loved it. Now I will retire here...soon.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. tuba-coma

tuba-coma DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

sales
    Ratings:
    +678 / 160
    bored in germany, drama in thailand, crazy in manila \ cebu, cool down in Dumaguete

• Like Like x 3
  4. nipjap

nipjap DI Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Sounds like you Fleet Marines had all the fun while on the "float". Yikes, I would be scared sh.tless if I had to be in those Amtracs out in the open ocean. Thank you for being one of the "Few The Proud" and serving our country.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Cerne

Cerne DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +538 / 199
    Had a Filipino lad in one of my classes in the ME. A nicer, more polite soul you could not meet. At the time I was diving off every RIB I could find between The Andaman Islands and Mexico. He says "have you been to the Phils? Best diving in the world."

So I dropped a line to a couple of University departments inviting myself to do a couple of pro bono days in Manila, Cebu and Siliman (it's good to give back) and they fair bit my hand off. On one of the lecture days they had me interviewed by a couple of journalists and a radio station. The tall, educated, hour glass figured radio journalist suggested a "more expanded feature" for a series she was writing and in the interests of good academic science I agreed. I didn't realise at the time this would lead to a life of bonded sexual servitude, but hey, most things come at a price. I commute via my academic world and the kids on Siquijor now and wouldn't exchange what I have for anything.

As far as I am aware she still hasn't written that feature.....

C

• Like Like x 3
  6. Nutz2U2

Nutz2U2 DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +269 / 29
    Did you find the correct pronunciation ??? :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:.

(Don't include Yvonne in that statement - keep that lady a mystery)....

• Like Like x 3
  7. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I came for the beaches, but when I got here I found out I was pronouncing it wrong.

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    I came to the Philippines because it's warm and spinal arthritis sucks. I always try to kill more than one bird with the same stone, figured I would meet a girl online and have a native guide / marriage prospect. I came to Dumaguete a few years ago to see if it was a good place to live. It looked better then than it does now. I reported to a friend and he up and moved almost immediately. I returned to Dumaguete to attend and film his wedding. I met a woman and hung around for awhile. I was already looking at moving, probably to Bacolod before my aunt passed and I was next of kin so back to the US I went. Probate should be over in a couple of months, California is slow that way but my lawsuit against a land company is finally hotting up and it's handy to stay til that is done. Maybe I will be back by the end of the year.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Sea Wave

Sea Wave One Hit Wonder?

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I'm not here for a long time, so not sure if I'm qualified to answer what brought me here) Still, I chose this place over others because of good vibe in the city - quiet place without pushy people, opportunity to sit near the sea and enjoy it without lots of tourists, and also higher safety level at nights (comparing to Cebu, for example).

• Like Like x 2
  10. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It had changed an enormous amount since I got here in 2010. Probably wouldn't even recognize the place going back that far.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1