Dumaguete Info Search

what is the plan?

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Sojourner, Jun 3, 2020.

1. hansie

hansie DI Member Restricted Account Infamous

Ratings:
    +97 / 71
    For those that doubt the effectiveness of quarantine (and/or are fervent disciples of the Sweden approach): The main virologist of the country (the one advising the government of the strategy to be followed) has more or less admitted that the somewhat lacks approach he advocated was not correct. Sweden has now more than 43 deaths per 100,000 inhabitants, which is significantly more that the surrounding countries that DID impose strict quarantine, Not just that, the death rate is still on the up-slope and the herd immunity is still less than 10%. A saying in my country (translated) would be applicable: Soft doctors make stinking wounds....

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. btd

btd DI Member

Ratings:
    +97 / 1
    Taiwan has EIGHT known active covid cases, New Zealand, ONE. Sure, every country has a unique set of variables, but it's hard to argue that countries with a disciplined response such as these would be faring better if they just threw caution to the wind.

Both of my parents, in their 70s, were initially lax about current circumstances despite my own pleas to protect themselves. Both of them got the virus about six weeks ago. Thankfully, they were among the majority who don't get severe symptoms. They are now taking common sense precautions and happily doing so. Perspectives change when reality hits.

This situation is a mess in many ways and often with harmful tradeoffs, but it is real and one day in the not-so-distant future it shall pass.

At the very least, just wear a d*mn mask. We cover our faces when we cough and sneeze. Covering our faces when we might have a virus that could kill others and not even know we are carrying it is a simple courtesy and painless practice to follow.

• Agree Agree x 9
  3. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,977 / 1,087
    Well...... my Wife has numerous images of her siblings hanging on a wall. My plan is to replace one with a portrait of Kim Jong-Un and see how long until she finally notices.

In other words, if it all goes to hell in a handcart, I will still fair all this mess out confidently. It has yet to effect me on any level.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  4. Philpots

Philpots DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Absolutely agree. There is a very informative article on this ...... this one of the milder ones, I read another post yesterday stating that the rest of Europe is now far far better set in their Corona infection/death stats than Sweden .....The Scandinavian country is by no means coronavirus-free. As of Monday evening, Sweden had registered 3,256 coronavirus-related deaths and more than 26,000 confirmed cases. The vast majority of those who have perished are over the age of 70. The country’s nursing homes were particularly ravaged by the disease. Sweden’s coronavirus death rate per million citizens is higher than that of the United States, and its coronavirus death toll is considerably higher than its Nordic neighbors, which all enforced measures that were stricter than what Sweden imposed.

5. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    The UK is the worst affected by the virus....death rate of 891 people per million. Their PM left it too late to quarantine

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Philpots

Philpots DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-
    That was the case, not any more, Sweden is now the worst per capita european country.

7. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. tuba-coma

tuba-coma DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

sales
    Ratings:
    +678 / 160
    1. we all read articles about the virus from experts
    2 we know nothing about the virus beside the articles we read from experts.
    3 people die from this virus
    4 if a second wave arrives sh*t will hit the fan
    5 because economy in most countries is down already
    6 good luck

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1