Dumaguete Info Search

What now NORECO?

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Outcast, Feb 11, 2017.

1. NYC

NYC DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I have been told by a knowledgeable, trustworthy source (a high provincial official) that the geothermal power generated in Valencia mostly heads to Cebu. Valencia itself gets virtually none of it. But the national government decreed that Valencia township is entitled to royalties from the plants, and those royalties are only distributed back to Valencia residents at, what amounts to, the whim of the mayor.

Living in Liptong, I have been told our power comes up from Bacong up the mountain through Timbao and further up, then back around down to portions (my portion) of Liptong, Valencia. It stops before the Liptong Elementary School which gets its power distributed directly from Valencia proper.

I doubt if there is any substantial "national grid" in the Philippines. Maybe someday. But if there were, there certainly would not be as many unexpected blackouts for hours on end. (That's kind of the purpose of a national grid.)

2. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    I saw somewhere that Valencia residents get an 800 peso energy credit. Is that true?

3. NYC

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Not sure. Glad you asked because I have been paying my landlord the meter bill, but never asked for the rebate. I THINK it is only 200/month and it only resumed January 1 of this year. I have heard that when the national government authorized the royalties for Valencia, the rebate was 1000...which often eliminated an entire month's bill. Then the town (i.e. mayor) decided to keep the royalties for the town "treasury" and no one received a rebate for several years.

I'm a newbie here in Valencia, so I can only speak to what I have heard. Perhaps someone on the forum who has lived here several years can correct me.

4. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    The royalties from grren core to valencia are pretty big,i did see it posted on a board up near the power plant a few years ago. Also you would be surprised how big valencia really is! It is easily the biggest municiple around these parts.

5. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    (this is general statement which includes myself NOT directed to any individual, although NYC made me think of it) Before assuming the Mayor is pocketing the rebate or shifting funds to friends, I wonder if there is a list of what he is spending the funds on? Certainly NOT on making sure the city proper has city water running every night, HOWEVER, I do know the Mayor pays the fees for residents taking TESDA certification courses. They include caregiving, computers, welding, plumbing. bread and pastry..... So if you know any Valencia residents they may be interested and is currently no charge to them.

6. NYC

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    If the money is being spent on improving Valencia's infrastructure and/or the well-being of its citizens, then that's a fine way to use it. Perhaps the town could start with spending some on improving the delivery of electrical power to all of its barangays. I would be delighted to give up my 200 pesos per month to reduce the frequency and length of blackouts to zero and zero.

7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I'm quite certain that this has been discussed on the forum before. Something about the companies producing power petitioning the courts to overturn the law saying they had to pay rebates to the municipality that the power was produced in. Probably could be found in a search, let's see:

Electricity price.
    Some of the posts here are almost verbatim to what was said 3 years ago. :wink: Might be worth a look. The person I quoted has lived in Valencia for a long time and is quite knowledgeable on most things Dumaguete/Valencia related.

You used to get a P800 rebate if you paid before the due date. It might have been more prior to 2010 but I wasn't there prior to that.

I wasn't aware of the new P200 rebate. Maybe a new law came out forcing them to pay the municipalities again.

Not for several years now.