Dumaguete Info Search

When does the Rip Off End.

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by andiflip, Oct 16, 2011.

1. andiflip

andiflip DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +491 / 173
    After living here permanently for the last year i came back bright eyed and bushy tailed thinking there really had been some progress.. but alas some things don't change.. I am talking about the way people do business here.
    1. We built a house up in the mountain from Sibulan,, hey lookey here we can get satelite TV, wow, subscribed to G-Sat.. this works great but now it seems they have come up with a new and improved version for who knows how much money and by doing so have slowly been deleting channels in the last couple of months and adding crap that no one watches or can't understand. Gone now is a sports channel. Gone now is a Discovery Science, Gone now is a movie channel,, but wow we are really getting what we paid for if you like 5 chinese (Taiwan) channels. Jai Alai. Horse Racing. This is a rip off plain and simple to get people to purchase their new HD channels ..

2. Smart-Bro.. this was working great a year ago also and could usually get 3-G even though the signal was a bit weak at times. Now all i can get is GPRS (slow as %*&#) Same story,, get together with the competition and make a deal,,look we can buy the smallest servers possible, turn them off at night to save power also and who cares if they are overloaded and the connection is only 3 to 4kb/s. we got their money and they aren't going to change as they know the same situation is going to occur with their competition also..

Way to go guys,, thats what i call "Service"... Rant over.. Have a great day....

2. SurfinUSA

SurfinUSA DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    That's why the booze and cigarettes are dirt cheap..

3. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    It doesn't only effect TV & Internet. Anybody did a count how many gasoline stations we have in Dumaguete City nowadays and how many are still under construction. But no matter which gasoline station you will visit, price every where; same, same, same. The only thing they put in being creative is what this topic started: cheating people and ridiculous raise of prices all around. I can afford , no problem, but how many PH people with a less than modest income can say the same?? Biggest problem, to my opinion, that the local PH people are either afraid to complain or just take it for what it is. Acting this way, will be a very long, long time before things will get really changed to the better.

4. newbie27

newbie27 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Dream Satellite got good service for people who wants a good television channels outside the city. Internet outside the city???? Hmmm...no comment... I suffer the same experience every time I'm out of town, still crap. LOL!

5. brian ausie

brian ausie DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +32 / 2
    yes guys the local people here are afraid to complain about bad service, they will stand in line in (ceneco bacolod power) for 60 minutes to pay their monthly power bill without a flinch, I stood there for 40 minutes then the s--t hit the fan, I said to the guard why do you only have 2 x cashier when you have hundreds of people packed in here like sardines, there is 5 x vacant cashier booths and at least 3 x cashier counting money not serving, I turned around in line and said to the locals behind me why don’t you people complain??? They want your money but make you stand here for so long, I said to the guard if they don’t hurry they can send someone to my house to pick up the monthly payment. Hehe asif they listened.

6. tomtorific

tomtorific DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 30
    I think they are called the "Silent Majority" and if they came to Your home to collect......hehehehehe microwave and all the electronics would be a thing of the past....LOL

7. ViperACR

ViperACR DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It might "end" if there was a category on this forum dedicated to Rip Off reports backed up by comparisons between what one person paid and what another was overcharged..

United we stand etc

8. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    The biggest problem in the Philippines I think is that the People don't think for themselves and don't challenge a bad situation. This was indoctrined by the Spanish when they were here making the People to compliant as to serve the wealthy without complaint. Its the biggest struggle I've had with gals trying to teach any gal I know to think for herself and don't just follow orders without thinking or believe its true because someone up the ladder said its true.

My current GF comes home from 3rd year at NORSU and frequently has English words with totally new meanings developed by the Professors who basically have no clue. I recently got her a pocket dictionary and have been making her look up any questionable word or phrase on a word by word basis to see how wrong some of these teachers are. Yet still she's to cowardly to correct the teacher and help her fellow students by doing so. I'd like to see a teacher argue the meaning of an English word when the other person is reading from a Meriam Webster's.....