Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: When the Sun shines everyday ( well almost )

1. MikeP64

MikeP64 DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +247 / 138
    I have enjoyed recreational activities in the cold and the heat. Snowmobiling the trails of Wisconsin's north woods was a whole lot of fun. Noodling the Washita river in Oklahoma summer is quite enjoyable too.

When working outside in the cold gloves are like a women. Can't work with them, can't work without them. Working in an non A/C barely heated truck shop I've dropped tools from my hands being too cold to hang on, not from sweat making them slippery.

I'd rather drive during a summer downpour than a winter blizzard.

Retirement? If I had to choose between sweating or shivering I'd choose sweating.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,991 / 1,090
    I already replied to address the topic of preferring hot climate over cold, so I will give the take on (Small World) I was adopted and never knew my real Parents until very late in Life. When I was 27 years of age I met a Nurse x-ray technician in Sudbury Ontario... dated for about 6 weeks. Drove the Nurse to work a few times and she brought me into the hospital to show me her desk and office. She Introduced me to her Supervisor, we shook hands. About 30+ years later I found my Birth Mother with the help of my Twin Sister. My Birth Mother, and myself realized immediately when we met up that we had shook hands with eachother at the Hospital x-ray department 30+ years back.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    My personal top experience of the "small world" thingy happened during a 6 week land-trip across the USA back in 1979 at a lookout point on the edge of the Grand Canyon, when, 5,000 miles from home, I heard someone calling out my name and when turning around meeting an old school friend from the Netherlands.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,991 / 1,090
    Back when I was a Soldier I experienced minus 70 wind chill factor. I would rather bare heat over the cold. Not a difficult answer for me. Philippines you can always take a swim, turn on air-con, fan or shower. I will never be returning to the Western Word. It's Peoples are about as cold as the weather.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. God Bless Texas

God Bless Texas DI Member

Ratings:
    +294 / 17
    Cold and rain limit me to working inside or at least under cover (in a garage). Working with insulted gloves makes it hard to hold items, no gloves makes the hands go numb until it's hit, bumped, or scrached on something and the blood returns.
    Cold weather is good for camping with the wife and sharing a sleeping bag. It's good for a campfire and the smell of something feeahly baked.
    Rain just sucks
    Slippery, both footing and holding on to tools
    Risk of electric shock with tools
    Decreased vision with watet running down my face
    A slight breeze makes it cold
    We feet (a personal irritation).
    I'll take the warm weather, put on a hat, take off the shirt, keep a cold Gatorade available.
    When it is over 95F (35c)
    Work 30-45 min and a 10 min break.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    Well having just had our first snow of the year in this part of the UK, my thoughts are of course turning to thoughts of sunshine and warmer climates.
    While I waste my days just trying to keep warm and the jobs pile up of what needs doing when the better weather returns, I got to thinking would I prefer to be in the Philippines experiencing hotter weather conditions or would I still be sitting there waiting for the weather to be cooler to do all the jobs that need to be done.
    Which climate suits you best, or do you like me find the weather limits your activities?
    View attachment upload_2023-3-10_16-26-44.png

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2023