Dumaguete Info Search

Where to eat....

Discussion in 'Dining - Nightlife - Entertainment' started by Kojak, Jan 9, 2011.

1. OP
    OP
    Kojak

Kojak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 2
    I only tried Eidelwise (sp) once.... what are some good dishes there

2. derivative_guru

derivative_guru DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    My favorites there are the schnitzel sandwich and the potato soup but I find both to be overpriced. I don't remember if it has already been mentioned but KRI has great dishes (almost everything I tried there was good except the Thai food...it was off the mark) and give the Chicken Curry pasta at Neva's a try... the best deal for the price in Dumaguete.

3. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Hi Pat, I agree with you. I like CB and I wish the BYOB would stop! No need for it.
    Ron

4. JoeMabini

JoeMabini DI Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Being a veteran of numerous forums over the years, I know how to approach but not cross the line. Saying you "seem" to be a moron is not the same as calling you a moron. For your information, I read all 24 pages (now 25) of this thread before posting because I wanted to make sure I understood what "Buttergate" was all about.

I did not comment on that situation even though I thought it was kind of strange that a restaurant would serve bread and salsa as an appetizer. I guess that is expected when dining at an "avante-garde fusion restaurant", however not at a restaurant that has a comfort food menu with some added or substituted flavors for the locale. I know for a fact that this same restaurant recently did pair butter with the bread - without being requested.

I am not that closed-minded as to not try new things. The wife is very creative, especially when we are running out of budget and food at the same time. Just tonight, we had some interesting menudo with a spaghetti sauce base and surprisingly it worked. I told her to make it again sometime.

I don't think IQ is the issue here, I believe EQ is the number we should be comparing.

5. JoeMabini

JoeMabini DI Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    It is okay to like a place and frequent it and still not be 100% satisfied especially when the average experience around here hovers around 70%. My review of 2 menu items was overwhelmingly positive with the exception of the employees not maintaining standards in his absence and the vendor problem which is easily solved, but resto owners on the hole stroll don't seem to care about that. Even the Embassy on Perdices st had a "No vendors" sign up for a time and when they enforced it it was quite pleasant.

My God, you guys are like Apple fanboys circling the wagons around Geunther and chanting "Pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaassssssssse, Leave Britney... I mean Geunther aloooooooone" weeping with your mascara running down your faces...

YouTube - ‪LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE!‬‏

6. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Hi Joe, first of all, as I said I like CB. And the over and over BYOB went on way tooooooo long for such a small complaint.
    I don't think I have mascara running down my face, just because I have been treated very well there.

That being said, no restaurant is always perfect. Sometimes there is a staff problem or an iced tea with no ice, or even a warm beer or sometimes worse. I for one wouldn't want to stand there 14 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year watching every move that the staff might make.
    So cheers Gunther mascara or not.:D

Joe, not a bad thought, just my opinion.
    Ron

7. JoeMabini

JoeMabini DI Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Ron,

You are right, it is not fun babysitting employees who will cut corners and ruin your product out of pure laziness or lack of the ability to think on their feet. It is a source of high blood and I believe in another thread on house construction there was a correlation between acting as your own contractor on your house and having a stroke. It is a combination of watching paint dry and having your life flash before your eyes in slow motion.

The problem here is the only thing that is consistent is inconsistency and the only wary to combat it is by visually inspecting every plate that goes out of the kitchen and keeping an eye on the entire process, which the owner of the restaurant does do -when he is there. I understand that he cannot be there 24 / 7 and that is okay.

Ex-Pats here fall into one of three categories..

• The "Rose Colored Glasses" types that believe that this is heaven on earth and are in complete denial that there are problems here.
    • The "Sh*t stained glasses" types that cannot see anything positive and are probably frustrated that they are stuck here and can't afford to leave.
    • The largest group that likes it here and accept the problems for what they are, part of living here.They may be a little jaded, but are pretty happy overall.

I consider myself part of the last group. I realize the benefits of living here and even find some of the quirks enchanting, but there is room for improvement. While trying to improve the Filipino run businesses is like pissing up a rope, constructive criticism of the foreigner owned enterprises is just that, constructive. These business owners need to hear what others think so they can improve their way of doing things and hopefully succeed in a market where most business ventures are expensive hobbies for the foreign owners.

By the way, what is the meaning of BYOB in this thread??? Bring your own butter?

8. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Yes Bring your own butter. I also belong to group 3. as a long term guy here with a great family, I have learned over the years it's not worth a stroke worrying about sh*t that doesn't matter anyway. So I have taken the middle road appreciating all that is good and trying not to p*ss up a rope and get hung up on the rest. And yes there are plenty of frustrations out there and constructive criticism always has it's place.

Sorry I went off topic. I had great baby back ribs at mia's last night.
    Ron

9. bounty98

bounty98 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    you know if you guys really wanted a nice tropical location where everything ran well and food was cooked to your liking why aren't you just living in Hawaii? Oh I know...because its expensive...

10. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    I lived in Hawaii for 10 years, yes it is expensive and the food is really good, but I'm here by choice. Cheers.
    Ron