Dumaguete Info Search

Where to eat....

Discussion in 'Dining - Nightlife - Entertainment' started by Kojak, Jan 9, 2011.

1. john reynolds

john reynolds DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Yes, the name is "Mifune".. Happens to be My Favorite, the other being Casablanca, didn't wanna leave that one out.. Try the Dragon Roll at Mifune, it's a must have whenever I'm there and also the Friday and Saturday night all You can eat special.. Not too mention the Head waitress, very hospitable too.... Cold Sake was great also... Cheers

2. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    And sat nights they do a great buffet, 300 p all you can eat but get there early!

3. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    just PM us when you go there, so we can be there 30 minutes earlier to have some food remaining... hehe

joke aside, I really like Mifune, but it is Japanese like Moon is Mexican. It is both pretty much "philippinized".

However, for that price nobody can expect original ingredients. The dragonroll is also one of my favorites, but I always tell them NOT to mess it up with the horrible sweet local mayonnaise on top. I also like the "japanese pizza" there.... It has nothing to do with pizza, looks like a big pile of baby-vomit but is really tasty when adding a kilo wasabi to it :smile:

4. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,545 / 1,016
    Cheers indeed!

5. tomtorific

tomtorific DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 30
    Worth tipping?.....:wink:

6. john reynolds

john reynolds DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    . I'm with You on the horrible mayonnaise Rhoody.. What I do is ask them for chili oil if they have it or mix in a little bit of Labuyo pepper into some sesame oil and drizzle that on top just like I do at the sushi bars here in the states....

7. SteveB

SteveB DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Casablanca - Mother's Day Special

We definitely do not go to Casablanca often enough!

We just came back from lunch where we both ordered the Mother's Day Special. They started us off with Guenther's excellent home made bread and a tasty salsa followed by a Mexican guacamole salad. The next course was a Hungarian cabbage soup. It was very good; hearty, and perfectly seasoned. The main course was Austrian stuffed roast pork with mixed vegetables. The pork was very tender and juicy, the stuffing excellent, and the vegetables were fresh and crispy. The meal ended with a dessert of vanilla mousse (I think that is what it is called) and watermelon drenched with a warm chocolate sauce. The service was fast and friendly, and all of the courses were more than ample and were plated professionally. When we finished eating, we were both stuffed! All this for under $10 each. I looked around at the other meals being served while we ate. They all looked equally delectable and all man-size quantities.

I would be surprised if you could find another meal, that good, at that price, anywhere else ... except maybe in my Mother's kitchen (have to say that ... after all, it IS Mother's Day!!!)

8. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Steve, we must have missed, I went there with my boss and had also the set-menu (p395). It was really great... I loved the stuffed roast pork with the veggies NOT cooked to death.... doesn't get any better than that !

One interesting thing I recognized since a few month is, that I spend the same money and sometime more on a dinner for 4 in most other so called "cheaper" places. My 2 monsters are out of the "we share one dish" age and eat each kind of food (even I believe a 11 year old pinay-girl who loves blue-cheese and spicy dishes and orders local dishes with mashed potatoes instead of rice might be a bit unusual). Just an example, I pay at Hayahay more than at Casablanca for our family. The menu looks maybe cheaper, but if you order fish for 300 peso, you get exactly that... a fish. With some side dishes it costs more than "expensive" Casablanca and only has a fraction of the size. Of course I wouldn't go to Casablanca to eat chicken wings or any kind of local dishes, there are some other places to have that

9. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,545 / 1,016
    Thanks Steve and Rhoody, me and 'new mommy' will go there tonight, sounds like a fantastic menu. Hope your ladies enjoyed the date.

10. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Another great little resto is Neva's on Hubbard ave,never had a bad meal in there and great prices! Go upstairs for air on room,,quite a few students go there from silliman uni but always managed to get a seat.