Dumaguete Info Search

Where to eat....

Discussion in 'Dining - Nightlife - Entertainment' started by Kojak, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Charlie

Charlie DI Senior Member Restricted Account Veteran Coast Guard

Ratings:
    +417 / 128
    Haven't been on that road in over a year. How far west of the Nat'l hwy ?
    Do we still need Humvee or tank to traverse that road ?

2. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    About 2 km up from highway on right side,they are at present fixing the rd from bacong up the the bamboolo spillway,nice and flat but dusty when dry! On the Valencia end it is being concreted but as you know it never fast here.

3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Will vouch for Pasta king. Recommend the Black Pearl, most everything on the menu is of good quality and all is western standards. Chicken alla creme with spaghetti is some of the best pasta I've had in the Philippines and the burger is by far the best in Dumaguete IMO. The prices will run from 160 to 280p.

4. cmdriego

cmdriego One Hit Wonder?

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Captain Ribbers

It doesnt seem like anyone here has tried captain ribbers yet... Its along the line of Moon Cafe on Silliman Avenue.

Their Big Boys Burger (PHP 180) is a must try! Bacon-Half a pound of Premium Ground Beef seasoned perfectly- Their Original Barbecue Sauce-Onions-What more could you ask for???

Also their Baby Back Ribs are a must try. I gaurantee youll be back for more. Their are alot of ribs in dumaguete now anywhere you go, and i think they are the reason. Ive even seen the owner of casablanca go their a few months ago so its wierd to not find them on the forum.

Plus their the only ones in town who have potato wedges and Chili-Cheese-Fries!

And for all the spice heads out their, ask for their secret "Cry Baby Sauce". It aint no ghost pepper but its the spiciest thing around town.

They are only open at 4pm though.

Catch you there sometime...

5. moveingon

moveingon DI Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +42 / 2
    sloppy Jose anyone

If any one would like a good old sloppy Joe, 2 for P25 or a "BIG" plate of spaghetti for P38 if i remember right, then go to the 4 th level at the top of the escalator at Evermall. Escalator entrance is on the rh. side of the bld. Run by a Britt and his wife.

6. sfgb35

sfgb35 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    On your recommendation, we tried Captain Ribbers . .

Where i am from wedges are wedge shaped and baked, seasoned with a little black pepper and crispy not deep fried . . . . The burger was so so, sorri i mean so so expensive . . The wallet had Lemon buttered Tuna, ultra thin tuna steak . .

Certainly not impressed easily spent 200php more than nessecary, Flamin grill burger much nicer and Nevas' Tanigue certainly better value and tastier . .

Captain Ribbers certainly NOT on my 'Will visit again' list . . Admittedly didnt try the ribs, however if they are like the burger, i would feel let down . .

Food its a personnal choice . . . .

7. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    We have eaten at Ribbers a few times. We found it on the upper side of ok, but certainly were not as impressed as Driego.

Larry

8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Is it possible to produce 2 sloppy Joes for p25 and still turn a profit?

As for Captain Ribbers; their ribs are ok. Not the best but certainly worth the price. I'm a dry rib kinda guy, providing they are prepared properly. On that note, I need the sauce, which is pretty tasty for me.

9. brian ausie

brian ausie DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +32 / 2
    Kathy & I thought we would try local food at the food net (the one near Ceres bus line) to feed 4 people is around P420, we were all over full when finished, that’s with soda drinks I desert & 6 dishes, we have been there about 7 times but only seen one other long nose there, the only problem is they don’t cook there chicken thoroughly, every time there is blood, so as long noses do I asked them to micro wave it, the first time I got the snakiest look from the female that brought it back to our table, she was not impressed, but nor was I, my nephew was hospitalised in Australia with salmonella due to eating a partially unfrozen and refrozen chicken that his mom cooked, it was both combinations that almost killed him the defrosting and that his mom didn’t cook it thoroughly, I am a good test for shitty food or poor food handling, if it’s a bit suss then not long after I get sick, from food net no problems at all. So if you do try them check your chicken ask them to chop chop and micro wave it.

10. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    I wouldn't care if they earn a profit. At that price I would be more concerned with what's in it!