Dumaguete Info Search

Where to eat....

Discussion in 'Dining - Nightlife - Entertainment' started by Kojak, Jan 9, 2011.

1. ken kennedy

ken kennedy DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We went to Pasta King for lunch, after staying away for a few months because of lousy service. Seems like there has been a significant price increase for some items, about 40p (1$). Also, the old man apparently had a kidney problem and returned to the states, good luck to him.

2. SteveB

SteveB DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Garcia's Restobar

I had the meat lovers pizza and lasagna with San Mig on tap sold in a frosted glass at Garcia's, a new place just before the Black Pearl on the South National Highway. Both the pizza and lasagna were cooked in a wood-fired oven. Best pizza I have had in Dumaguete and the lasagna was really good also! The place is fairly small but good ambiance and good service with sports always on TV and light rock music in the background; nothing ear-shattering and no bubble-gum disco stuff.

3. SteveB

SteveB DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Frankie's Restaurant, Tagbilaran, Bohol

Although situated in a Mall (Ocean City in Tagbilaran), Frankie's has to be my favorite eaterie in the Philippines. With an international menu; dishes from Russia, the Mediterranean, Italy, and Mexico, it is the most comprehensive menu I have seen here. All menu items were mouth-watering and the price / quantity ratio was good. I wish the owner would open a franchise here in Dumaguete!

4. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Thanks Steve. that's my next adventure.

5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I can vouch for the pizza there. Good stuff. Pizza started at 275 and went up to 340-350 pesos depending on toppings. Only one size pizza but I would say it's good for one foreigner and one filipina.

6. flxibl2006

flxibl2006 DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    the pizza at Pasta King is really good, P170 to P270 and about 12" + pie all imported ingredients and 2 Italian guys running the place now. Reminds me of NY pizza, good crust, sauce and cheese. Home made sausage was good too. Lots of new menu items in the last few weeks. I'll have to try Garcias and make a comparison. Warning, If you like Filipino pizza you may not like PK's it is what I call "real" pizza and nothing remotely like pizzas served elsewhere. Don't even get me started on Greenwich, how that place remains open serving that garbage is beyond me.

7. jim787

jim787 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +434 / 38
    So is this thick crust NY/American style pizza, or thin crust Italian?

8. redneck

redneck DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Not sure who the 2 Italian guys you are talking about...Mr. DeSantis, the older Italian man who is/was the main owner moved back to California several months ago due to health reasons, and the other owner wasn't Italian..he was German. Not sure if 2 new guys "Italian"? have taken over. I like the crust of the pizza, and I guess it might be more like an authentic Italian pizza (little to no sauce). I can't stand Greenwich and Shakey's is almost as bad. I will stick with Neva's pizza, (just crisp it up in the oven after it is delivered) to me, it is the best in Dumaguete. Haven't tried the new place on the highway, yet, though.

9. flxibl2006

flxibl2006 DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Hand tossed type Italian pizza. Not a cracker crust which is typical here. All imported ingredients and it taste like it. I have had a lot of different styles of pizza in NYC I would say this is in between thick and thin, more towards thin and enough homemade sauce so you can taste it. Not comparable to Nevas in flavor, they used to be my favorite here, not anymore. Large variety of other dishes too. only had one questionable, the bbq ribs which were flavorful but salty. Will check out Garcias tonight.

10. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I always enjoyed Calda Pizza across from harold's mansion behind the gas station. Thin crust Italian style pizza. Not bad for being made by a local. Haven't tried in 6 months though so no telling what it's like now, the locals might have convinced them to put sugar in the pizza.