Dumaguete Info Search

Where to eat....

Discussion in 'Dining - Nightlife - Entertainment' started by Kojak, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
  2. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Building on Rhoody's direction, better to make left turn on Taft, go to end, make right turn, turn left into Mike's Resort sign, narrow dirt road but easily passable.

3. SurfinUSA

SurfinUSA DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I've never eaten at San Rival, but I've been inside and had a look. Their food looks good, and the place is packed at lunchtime. No one has comments on that place? Ops, they have a branch at the mall don't they...I did eat there once.

I seem to have good luck with the food at Sta Monica resort. Especially their fish restaurant in the back. It opens at 6pm. They have steak, and pork chops back there as well. Everything is spread out on ice for you to choose from before it's cooked.

We used to eat at La Residencia...and came out satisfied most of the time, but not all of the time. Don't order the turkey.

4. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

Yes, we worked with Mike and crew on training issues when they first opened, as we had just shut down our resto. We still supply their salsa, and it is one of our favorite places to eat.

Larry

5. john reynolds

john reynolds DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    That sucks that You had to close Your place down a few years back. If I'm not mistaken, it had to do with the fact of the long drawn out road construction in front of Your Restaurant located somewhere near the hayahay/lab As/El Camino area.. There was no way access it unless You were on foot or possibly by motorbike....

6. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Well we didn't think so at the time, but hindsight shows it was a blessing in disguise.

:wink:

Larry

7. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Larry, can I ask where you get the salsa your provide for Mike's? That stuff is terrific. Thanks

8. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

We make it! Nothing but fresh vegies and spices.

Larry

9. Happy She & Me

Happy She & Me DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Dear Larry,

Your salsa mix is excellent and I have tasted it several times. Best in town if not Philippines. My question is if you have been thinking about starting a business producing your good salsa and marketing the product all over Philippines? Like when actor Paul Newman from his kitchen started to mix different barbecue sauces....and slowly made it in to a million dollar business.
    Made from a your secret recepie, and because it is so good you should keep it your secret. If you do start a business I wish you good luck!

Salsa both in Food and Dancing!

Benjamin

10. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

We spent several years developing the salsa, and although all other recipes we had in the restaurant we have shared with many, we do keep the salsa recipe secret. When we were developing the recipe, we made sure that it was with all ingredients normally available locally. There are 27 ingredients in the salsa, so it would be pretty difficult for someone to copy it. However, our salsa is fresh, with no preservatives (other than salt), so it's shelf life is only 30-60 days if kept sealed and refrigerated. For that reason we have not tried to mass market it. Someday I may stick some in the pressure cooker and can it just to see what it comes out like.

We have been working the last few months on a hot sauce. It is looking like it will come out awesome, much better than more expensive sauces available here and in Cebu. Everyone who has tried it wants more. We just have a few more refinements in the bottling stage. The intention is to put this one to the masses.

Larry