Dumaguete Info Search

Where to eat....

Discussion in 'Dining - Nightlife - Entertainment' started by Kojak, Jan 9, 2011.

1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Larry, do you sell your salsa to members? Thanks

2. PatO

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Lapu Lapu fish
    I am normally a meat and potatoes man and dislike fish (maybe because it doesn't go all that well with the too much red wine I drink). But when I came to the Philippines, first Makati then here, I discovered Lapu Lapu. I had a bad one a La Paz last year but found Santa Monica Beach Resort to have great fresh lapu lapu sitting on ice waiting for your selection. We have it steamed in whatever they use (soy, ginger, onion, etc, ?) and it is delicious. We also tried it grilled with their marinade and also is great. We had a visitor so we went their twice this week. I want to learn how to steam fish, can anyone give me a good recipe and instructions? Thanks

3. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    We did at one time pursue more of a retail trade with it, but as we had no "distribution hub" it was kind of a pain in the butt to make deliveries of one tub of salsa to Bacong or Sibulan. We do still sell to some individuals, mostly here in Valencia as it is convenient. If you can arrange a drop off place downtown, or get together with someone so you order more than one tub at a time, we will be happy to oblige. Also we make delivery to Mike's about every 10 days, I'm sure we could leave one there for you.

Larry

4. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    ok ok i take some free samples ...

5. Happy She & Me

Happy She & Me DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Food and how to prepare it!

GOOGLE it!

Type in any dish you like to cook and you will find many recepies including how to prepare your dish. Best part is that you can print it out and make your favorite food cook book!

As I write we are cooking SeaBass from Sarangani Bay.... excellent products.

Robinson's now have Sarangani products and last friday we purchased Pompano Fish, SeaBass, Tilapia and of course norweigian Salmon. Bangus is also an excellent fish.

If interested go to this website.....

::: Sarangani Bay ::: WHERE FRESHNESS AND FLAVOR FLOURISH :::

Good food and wine, at home.... there is nothing like it!

Always like to know what I put in my body, freshness and sanitation is high on my agenda!

Benjamin

6. john reynolds

john reynolds DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Pat, a few of years back I purchased a nice electric steamer in Lee Plaza.I've noticed that they're also sold in the hardware store on the 2nd floor of Robinsons Place. You can find them along the wall near the cash registers. I noticed that they had a Black & Decker brand on my last trip there. That's what I use here in the states. It's perfect for chicken,fish,shrimp,veggies and can even be used to soft or hard boil eggs. An added plus is that the juices that steam of of whatever you're cooking end up in a watertrap bowl at the bottom and can be used as broth or soup, making it even better if you season your veggies or poultry before hand.... All this with your favorite bottle of Chardonnay.....cheers

7. PatO

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Casablanca Mexican Food - Big surprise, haven't been top CB for 10 days, went there tonight and Guenther told me he hired a cook that specialized in Mexican dishes. So loving that cuisine, I had a sampler of beef burito, chicken enchilada, chili con carne, and salad, at what to me was a very good price. It was great. Had to drive so couldn't drink margaritas to go with it but he had a 20% off sale at his deli which his spirits included tequila from Mexico and for me, Bushmills Irish Whiskey at a very low price. Disclaimer: I am not an owner or investor in Casablanca, just like the ambiance and food and drinks.

8. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    That's great news, I grew up around 10 miles north of the Mexican border. I like Mike's Mexican food, but live in Sibulan and it's a bit of a drive. There was a thread a while back something like, what we missed from back home, For me one of the biggest is Mexican food. I will see Gunther soon. Thanks Pat.
    Ron

9. Rarity54f

Rarity54f DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    A friend of mine stopped going to that resto which is one of those mentioned above because she found a pubic hair on top of her food when it was served. Have you tried Kri? The chef and owner there is a Filipino who trained and studied abroad and there had been very good feedbacks regarding their food there. Kri is located beside Insular Hotel, right across Silliman, along Silliman Avenue.

10. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    while KRI is a nice addition to the choices of Restaurants in Dumaguete and I go there occasionally for a snack, I think it is pretty bland and ridiculous expensive.

measured with a letter-scale (yes I know I am a picky b@st@rd) their tiny ribs on a cup of rice have a meat-value that the equivalent dish at Mooon would cost (used price KRI-measurement) around 500 Peso instead of 200.

KRI:

[​IMG]

Mooons:

[​IMG]

the regular menu-dishes are really tiny and therefore pretty expensive, unless you value a cup of rice very high...

I had good Pat Thai at KRI, the Thai soup was great and my lime-cake awsome and not too sweet. All this dishes are not on the menu but available most of the time as specials.