Dumaguete Info Search

Electronics & Appliances where to find electronic equip. protection?

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by Silverman, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Silverman

Silverman DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 1
    iam no expert but working in the office machine service industry for many years,I found most circuit boards blown by brown outs (what we called power fluctuation in Canada) with power surges sometimes just a fuse in the power supply of the equipment was blown. Seems power fluctuation is hardest or most expensive thing to protect against(good UPS). like I said iam no expert and welcome any advice. Would like advice on knowledgible place to purchase electonic equip. protectors?

2. Best Answer:
    Post #2 by denpet, Jan 17, 2016 (5 points)
  3. denpet

denpet DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +351 / 96
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Best Answer
    Any hardware store will have AVR's. Get a good quality one. It will give you constant continuous power, until it drops so much it can't cope and will disrupt power all together.
    Combine it with a UPS that you connect AFTER the AVR and you will protect from uninterrupted power loss too. Only having a UPS will give you problem. I used only UPS for a server that for a while, but as it will switch over to battery power when voltage drop, rather than regulate it, you will not notice when you are on battery power, and suddenly the server will be unavailable and when you check you see that voltage has dropped, UPS switched to battery until drained and then powered down the server. With an AVR the UPS will not switch to battery unless you have a power outage.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  4. Nutz2U2

Nutz2U2 DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +269 / 29
    I would suggest Acelogic, as they appear to have a variety of UPS/AVR systems. You can go from 17k to 25k systems.

I would recommend the APC systems (not always in stock), as I purchased other brands that have left me wishing I had waited for stock.

Citi Hardware have a large selection of AVR's, but are pretty expensive units.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. denpet

denpet DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +351 / 96
    Blood Type:
    O+
    If you have a desktop computer only, it might be enough to have a UPS. As you will here when it goes on battery (as it beeps) you know it's time to logout and turn off. The problem is when you have equipments you expect to be on, as in my case the database server serving the POS system for the restaurant, it's annoying when it suddenly doesn't work, due to low voltage having the UPS turn to battery, and they automatically shut down when they are drained. As you have only low voltage, it's not clear that it will run on battery. When we have a complete power outage, the generator will start within a minute and then be back on 220V before it is ever switched off.