Dumaguete Info Search

Which seashells can I bring out of the Philippines?

Discussion in 'Diving and Marine Life' started by Orange Sol, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Orange Sol

Orange Sol DI New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I visited the seashell Museum on Siquijor 2 weeks ago. I bought three shells for gifts and an "egg" made ​​of parts from seashells. But now I am not sure if they are legal to take home to Denmark? View attachment 10746 View attachment 10747 View attachment 10748

(I hope I can figure out how to upload photos:smile:)
    Do you know if I can bring them out of the country?
    Thank you very much for your help!

Attached Files:

2. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
  3. OP
    OP
    Orange Sol

Orange Sol DI New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Dear Knowdafish
    Thank you for the link. I just dont understand if I can bring thise shells out of the Philippines. (I only read some part of the very long pdf.) Because I do not know the name of the shells and I only have the photos and there were no photos of my seashells in the PDF.
    But thank you for your help.
    Best wishes

4. denpet

denpet DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +351 / 96
    Blood Type:
    O+
    How come you buy something you don't know what it is?
    There is a lot of marine life that is protected and you could end up in trouble by just possessing it.
    It's like buying a bag of white power, and tell the cops you don't know what it is.
    Ignorance is not an excuse.

5. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    The 1st picture is of an abalone. The 2nd I do not know what it is and the 3rd looks to be a manufactured item made from polished abalone fragments. Hopefully this helps you somewhat?

6. OP
    OP
    Orange Sol

Orange Sol DI New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Dear Denpet.
    I bought the shells on a Museeum, I asked the owner if the shells were legal. These shells are due to the owner not from endangered species and not illegal. I do not know about you, but I believe in the goodness of all people. This thread is called: "Identify Fish & Other Marine Life", so I think it is the right place to post my messages. I will not under any circumstances take a chance, and bring the seashells out of the country if I am not 100% sure what they are. Of course not! I think we should preserve the good tone and talk nicely to each other. Have a good day! Happy karma from Orange Sol

7. denpet

Ratings:
    +351 / 96
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Sorry, I didn't mean to sound harsh.
    It was just meant as a word of precaution.
    The seller will tell you anything you like to hear to convince you to buy his products. That's why I mean you should be careful buying anything, particularly marine life, if you don't know what it is, as many species are protected. If you get caught on the airport with an illegal shell, or if a fraction of the man made mosaic shell, is from a protected species, you will be the one in trouble. Doesn't matter if you say that the one you bought it from ensured they were ok. If you meet the wrong airport guard, you are the one in trouble.
    Hope you get them identified and that they are ok to possess.
    Cheers!

8. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Importation ?

OS, after you have sorted out, what you can or can not, out take out of this Country, I think it may be a good Idea If you do a little research into what you can take in to Denmark! I once took some pebbles to the UK from the Red sea,

No one at Heathrow could Identify them, so I had a lot of Explaining to do, Needless to say, they were confiscated.

Whist every story will be different, I have never in over 15 years, been stopped by Customs leaving the PI but have many times, been subject to a search in the UK and Spain I don't know what it is but when they see the Luggage tag,

MNL;HKG;LHR they seem to have some sort of Mini orgasms AH! Sir you have comes from the Philippines,Please come this way.

I am just not sure, what they think we will bring into the UK,mm:D Only the wife maybe.

JP

9. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Two years ago when I my daughter visited her she bought a hanging shell decorator piece. She was stopped at the Dumaguete Airport, with the fellow saying the shells could not be exported out of the Philippines. The shells now hang at my house. He did not confiscate them, maybe he was looking for a bribe. It seems that it would have been better if the shells were critical to the Philippines that the authorities cruise the gift shop/tourist shops here and confiscate the shells at that point of the process to eliminate further harvesting the shells. I do not remember where they were bought but it was not off a street vendor. The outcome is the shells are still in the Philipines, the animals that lived in them are still dead, and the vendor is most likely still selling the same displays, the harvesters are most like still harvesting the same shell.
    I am not endorsing the export of illegal shells but there is a better way to stop the process than at the final airport gate, when the animals that created the shells have died, and the harvesters, and sellers are enjoying a hearty meal because of their illegal activity. That does not seem to stop the illegal activity.

10. denpet

Ratings:
    +351 / 96
    Blood Type:
    O+
    But, if you go after the vendor, manufacturers, harvesters, then you have to go against your own kin. If you stop a tourist on it's way to leave, you have very little aftermath ;-)