Dumaguete Info Search

Who can own land here?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by alex, May 4, 2013.

1. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    A foreigner with dual citizenship can buy and sell land in the Philippines as long they have a Tin number.
    They don't have to tell you that they have dual citizenship.
    If you want to buy land in the name of your wife or anybody else and don't want it to be sold, just make an agreement with the buyer that the property will be mortgages in the bank. In any bank they can inform you about this " technic"
    The tittle is safe in the bank and cannot be sold, you only pay a small amount interest to the bank on your mortgage,

2. brian ausie

brian ausie DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +32 / 2
    yes true but your asawa still can hold you to ransom if you want to sell the property

3. Dave57

Dave57 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You can owne a house or lease but you cant own land unless your married to a national, now lets say your wife leaves you and your kids the court can grant you ownership under your children name but the property cant be sold by you with out going back to court...

4. Don

Don DI Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 1
    Ms. Rice Sherwood,
    You made a reference to "06. Usufruct | Civil Law of the Philippines" in your message.
    It's my understanding - and I have read that particular law - that will allow some form of "Control" of the land, depending upon the actual agreement, only...NOT ownership. A foreigner may "control" land to an extent, yes: however he can not "own" or "acquire"....unless by inheritance through the court.

5. nice_sherwood

nice_sherwood DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Yes thats what ive been told by my atty, this is what theyre doing now with the new owners (retired american couple).
    by the way, my name is nice not rice :-) and im mrs not ms :-)

6. Don

Don DI Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 1
    Ms. Nice,
    Sorry about the incorrect first name.

7. nice_sherwood

nice_sherwood DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Thats no big deal :-)