Dumaguete Info Search

Who Were They

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by PatO, Jul 10, 2018.

1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Around 11:00 this morning, only my wife’s sister-in-law was watching our house. A new white van pulls up to my gate with 5 black guys. Two came to the gate wearing polo shirts, pants, and shoes. They asked for me by first and last name. Told I wasn’t here they told her they would come back another time.
    My house is rather hard to find with no street name and our street entrance off the highway is blocked off with construction.Apparently, they did not have my cell number.
    So how did they know my name and address and why target me? I never heard of black missionaries. I don’t believe I have an illegitimate son looking for me, so who can it be? Stay tuned!

2. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Maybe you won the Reader's Digest sweepstakes? Never heard of anything like that before and I am sure curious.

3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    One of them was probably named "Moses". Really big boy and quite intimidating at first glance but nice enough. Given the accent I would say African, perhaps Nigerian, but he denies this and claims to be American (I never asked to see his passport so I suppose this could be true)...even though he hangs out with a bunch of other guys with similar accents and heritage. He has made claims of being a Marine to me (I am not sure this is true and it might have been an intimidation/looking for respect type of claim) but I have heard he does missionary work. After our initial meet (in a bar) we get along well when we see each other.

However, making questionable claims of his past would make me hesitant to trust him with any sort of cash/favor/charity being asked for.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    Possible explanation: They were members of a polo team (clue in your posting here :smile: ) and were one short for the team that day. Btw, did your wife's sis-in-law report on any horses? Hope it helps :smile:

5. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    I don’t know how they found my house and new my name. Maybe it was the “original Moses” coming to take me home. Glad I wasn’t home.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Genius Genius x 1
  6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    There may be an innocent reason behind the visit and how they came across your name.

Also, it also isn't very hard to find where a person lives once you have their name. If I got a hold of your first name and which barangay you live in (which would take very minimal research here) all I would have to do is go to that barangay and ask, with a friendly smile, where you live. The locals would most likely be more than happy to, innocently, direct me to your doorstep (Filipino logic; since we are both foreigners and I'm smiling while saying your name we must be friends, right?). They may even go out of their way to personally guide me there if I were to give their sari2x shop (which is where I would stop to ask) some enthusiastic compliments and spend a few pesos. :wink:

Edit: Sorry, I guess that second part isn't helping you feel comfortable about them finding your house. lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Actually I am not concerned with their visit, just curious ( I know, curiousily killed the cat). It was better than an O dark thirty visit pounding on my gate. My helper is about 5’ 150 and meaner than my two dogs.

8. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Leave the money in the mail box but don’t give it to my helper!

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    If people I don't know come to the house I live in, 4 apartments in the house, start talking in a way which makes me suspicious, I will take a photo, if they complain I reply, if you don't come here I don't take a photo of you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    No strange visitors yesterday. No idea who it was or why!