Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Why do expats love Dumaguete?

1. knobhead

knobhead The Knobster Infamous

Retired Knobhead Engineer
    Ratings:
    +268 / 23
    If I am understanding this thread correctly. I would like to make the point that intellectual property rights and copy rights laws are international, and international flight to avoid prosecution does not keep him safe from action. Plus he would be found "Persona non grata " by the Philippine Immigration and we would be rid of his presence for ever.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    He has also pissed off a group of locals with his comments,the vice Mayor for one and another is a well known reporter.
    There are talks going on about dealing with him!

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Actually, since you brought it up, at my retirement I was not grandfathered in the monthly pension plan and had to take a lump sum which my ex-wife was happy to take half of and which taxes took a chunk out of the remaining. So I am not living on the beach. My wife picks free mangoes from the empty lot next door. My monthly SSA helps to buy meds and monthly expenses and is gone by the end of the month. Still, life is good. How about you?

• Like Like x 3
  4. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Don't you know that it's worth
    Every treasure on earth to be young at heart
    For as rich as you are
    It's much better by far to be young at heart

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. furriner

furriner DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    The article says “Some expats pensioners oftentimes set a budget of $5,000 USD max a month this would already give them great choices for accommodation, posh lifestyle, exquisite food choices and you still have some spare cash to probably keep for savings or invest on other things.”

Hmmm....posh lifestyle, exquisite food choices. I have no idea what most fellow expats in Dumaguete currently spend but other forums do not usually indicate a figure that high. Yet for a US retiree professional receiving SSA max in the area of 3K plus a company pension of at least 2K or more, (all after taxes), that is a reasonable figure for income for, foe example, former IBM employees, NY Police and such. However I know many expats who have much lower budgets and are quite happy.

I think the article is designed to attract wealthier, professional retirees but I may be wrong.

I know at 60K per year, one could retire in the US with better accommodations, reasonable lifestyle and great better food, especially if house was paid for.

I think if you have 60K or more in pensions and SS, the only reasons to move here are 1) “It is more fun in the Philippines” (PRA slogan that is true) and 2) spousal family ties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. osodelnorte

osodelnorte DI Forum Adept Restricted Account Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +254 / 86

simply put.. vices are cheap and abundant in dumaguete.. alcholics and drug addicts abound.. and corruption makes it this way... notice the class of foreignors showing up.. ask them where they came from and you will hear places like angeles city, pattaya, bangkok, etc... and that is because the prices there have risen... it is only going to get worse.. you can smell it everywhere you go..

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    No mountains where he is from. He's from the land of cornfields and meth labs. Which might explain his personality. :wink:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Overreaction to make a video response. Imagine all the crazy talk that goes on at bars across the Philippines. Now imagine that these people all get taped and thrown up on Youtube.

The real story here is how people react to things posted on the internet. It's not a natural form of communication. Most people fail. This includes the small number people who actually go through the effort of crafting a response and the much greater number of people who are actually emotionally moved by this stuff.

Personally, I completely ignore it.

• Like Like x 3
  9. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Probably, like many of you, I had a checkered past. Had money, no money, had money, no money, mostly related to divorces. Here, sacrifices are necessary to live comfortable, at least for many of us (even though I am one of those previously mentioned retired IBM employees). But coming from Seattle when the cold rain starts in August, I find it hard to complain. Wake up and smell the mangoes (probably no roses in the P.I.). So I agree with Dave.

• Like Like x 2
  10. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I agree with many posters...it is really about where you end up being comfortable as well as where you wife/SO is from as many (including myself obviously) gravitate to where they are from.

For me, I like having Dumaguete close for the restaurants and better shopping; other areas in the Philippines that I would consider if I hadn't already built a house in Tanjay would be Bohol and Valencia. Only 2 areas that I have enjoyed to a point where I could see myself living.

I do like the small town atmosphere of Tanjay and being relatively close to Bais for the fish market. Like any place it has it's positive and negatives but I'm quite comfortable. Manila, Cebu or Dumaguete would not be a choice for my country/small town life that I prefer.

Just my opinion,

Shawn

• Like Like x 2