Dumaguete Info Search

Why Produce Centavos?

Discussion in 'Banking - Investing - Finances' started by Rye83, Dec 12, 2015.

1. DaveD

DaveD DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    True. I did have that happen at some of the smaller places like sari-sari stores - Get candy or gum for change. If anyone has the old Piso coins (Bout the size of a silver dollar) they are worth quite a bit to collectors.

2. Cletus

Cletus DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +357 / 107
    You are asking beaurocrats to solve a problem they created. If they eliminated those coins along with the resulting time saved by cashiers then increased productivity would mean fewer employees needed. Beaurocrats, AKA zombies, don't see a problem so there will be no solution, at least not from one of them.

3. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    I had a girl who was always smacking on something after we went to the store and finally I asked where she got it since I hadn't seen her pick anything out. She told me it was the change. I had the wonderful idea and told her next time not to eat the candy and use it to pay for the next purchase so we could get the piso coin.

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    The Philippines produces centavos so that workers making under $3 per day know that there is a unit of currency low enough that a minute of their time is worth.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    So tell me, Does the US still have the cent?cos the UK certainly still have the Pence.
    Come on Guys and Gals it works all the way round.

6. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Yes, but the reasons for it being there is quite ridiculous. There is really no economical reason to still have them in circulation in the US (well, no economical reason for citizens. Plenty of reasons for the companies supplying the raw material to the government.....and they certainly spend quite a bit of money "convincing" politicians the US still needs pennies. :wink:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    Anyone remember Superman 3? They guy rounded all the cents up on salaries and made 000000's :greedy:

8. DaveD

DaveD DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Yes, I believe that may have actually happened in real life where an employee of a bank or something wrote a script into the software to deposit all fractions of a cent into a special account they had access to and they got a lot of money over time until it was discovered and they were prosecuted for it. That's probably where the movie got the idea in the first place. Don't remember the source though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1