Dumaguete Info Search

Why so Negative?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by jmoranfun123, Apr 9, 2012.

1. OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    To make change....vote with your feet and don't be shy about it.

Just today, walked into department store and found a photo frame I wanted to find out that, once again, they have one single cash register open and 15 people all willing to "fall in line". Good for them they will allow business and support business that operate that way.

good for me that I sat down the picture frame and walked out.

And, last week on Sunday (the busiest day here for a grocery store) Robinsons didn't even have half their cash registers open and lines were midway down the aisle. Many employees stocking shelves but apparently not cross-trained to run a register and help customer service as needed. Wonder how long it took them to find my cart there with meats and ice cream in it. AND, wonder who bought it after they put it back into the cases.

vote with your feet...

2. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    yes, and some of us "old-timer" have a good chuckle when hearing about the move to other grounds .... but exactly this old-timer, are those who never get tired to answer the returning questions again and again and again, even they know, not many will believe their advice and experience.

talking about good chuckle and Robinsons or Lee cashiers. One gonna love the 8-item-fast-lane, when the mid and older aged well dressed local ladies with ghost-like white face and overflowing cart falling in line and you are behind. Just get them with a friendly smile and ask the if they are from Duma, usually you get a yes. Ask which school, normaly answered with the name of one of the "famous". Than lip-point to the sign with a "really, so you know the meaning of the words on that sign?", still remaining smiling and friendly, lip-pointing at the cart, shaking head and walking away. Promise, the dark red blushing goes through the 1/2 inch thick white face-coating.

3. paul-angie

paul-angie Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This may be of interest to some expats who seem to be negative and whinge about the Philippines.

Many years ago, Australians did complain about all the whinging Poms coming to Australia from the UK. Because the Poms kept Saying how much they missed the old Country, and that Australia was still a backward Colony with no class, style and uncivilised.

Maybe they only met the white ones, .................. LOL

The thing is the Poms immigrated to Australia voluntarily, BUT, the Australians are mostly decendants from Pommy convicts who were sent,with absolutely no choice, because the Prisons there were too full.....................ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.:D:D:D

Also, most of the convicts were sent to prison for stealing bread to feed their families.

Not that many were hardened criminals.

ALSO, not all the Brits immigrating to Australia were whinging Poms, as usual, only a small percentage give the rest a bad name.

I have to be careful.......LOL...............I am half British myself, my Dad was British, and Mum was Australian.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, I hold British passport, as well as my Aust, pp, so I have to be a nice boy, or the BP may be confiscated.:smile:

Those who do not understand the relevance, ..................... tough..............:wink:

Paul.

4. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Thanks Paul, amusing post. I moved here in a similar situation. My father was American and he got his war bride. They talked and talked about Australia, while we kids were growing up in the US....but never made the move. LOL, my mother is still there in the US and will no doubt die there. But I got the bug (after years of listening to the 'wonders of Australia'), and my new Filipina wife and I came to Oz for our honeymoon over thirty years ago ....After that...done deal. Came back a couple more times to look around, quit my job in Saudi after a good offer here, and moved here to Perth. Second best thing I ever did - sorry third best thing - US Marine Corps was 2nd.
    I feel for you about the Pom issue - but 99% of what I heard - even back then (and you hardly hear any of it now) was all in jest....For example....How do you know when another plane-load of Poms has arrived? You can still hear whining after the pilot shuts down the engines. One of my favourites....but us 'Yanks' get it too, even half-Yanks, don't you worry...LOL...I accept it and point out a few facts, such as there are no Australian footprints on the moon etc....All good fun...
    Anyway, great spot Oz....like the Philippines but it would be hard to leave here...We've got some lots near Bacolod in a good subdivision - but we just wonder whether it's worth the hassle of building. I'm one of those two-weekers for a couple decades who is really over it. And the wife appreciates driving, shopping, medical care (she's a nurse - Oz degree), and no hassles...Lower cost of living is a big trade-off and the only real advantage to us we can think of. I can appreciate the rising cost of living here (and there in the Philippines too - about twice Australian inflation) - but we reckon we can move out to a country town an hour or two from Perth and save heaps. We know some other retirees that have done it - and they are happy as....Anyway, time will tell...but while the Philippines has some advantages (very nice people generally - low cost of living)....Pretty good down here...

5. paul-angie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, Perth is a great City, and WA a great state, very forward moving and progressive with a good economy. Weather is great also, and also the beaches. Nice rural areas North of Perth also to live. And, you can even go underground, to the East, and live digging up Gold..........LOL

I was actually born in South Australia, and Adelaide is still a very fond time of my past.

One of the Interesting things about South Australia, is that is is the only State in Australia that did not have a Penal Colony, inhabited by British convicts.

Maybe that is why I am such a snob............ha ha ha ha ha ha.:D
    Paul.

6. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
  7. paul-angie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ha ha ha ha:D

very good jimeve

How could I have overlooked the lovely working girls of that time.:smile:

Paul.

8. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Hi Paul...Adelaide is a pretty town too. Bit slow last few years - but the resource bug is spreading there. I've got a few bucks in Hillgrove's copper/gold project for example......Yes, Perth is nice...growing rapidly...We live out near Joondalup. Take your point about rural areas north of Perth. We're gearing up for a move in the Gingin area - we love our gardening and I have several aquaponics ideas I can put into practice with my 40 years aquarium and fishpond experience - and friends in the aquaculture business. Could do it in Bacolod, but not sure if it is worth the dramas....and the difficulty sourcing requirements.
    Anyway, enjoy Dumaguete....it's the pick of the litter in my opinion. Bacolod was my compromise with the wife - and even she has misgivings...Crows look pretty good for a top 8 this year - great start.

9. Union Jack

Union Jack DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 1
    I only visited the Philippines about 8 times, 3-4 weeks at the time so I won't even try to intervene here. The only thing I can add is that I have been married to my pinay wife for 27 years and have learnt the hell of a lot about the human aspect of life with filipino.
    Had problems with family members but sorted them without anyone loosing face, very important here. Never had to have medical attention but I'm full aware that Dumaguete hospitals are equivalent to morgues. I've also learnt that one cannot change the way of life and the lay-back attitude of the filipinos, hence I go with the flow....ok I get pissed off, shake my head, but then move on...strong of the fact that I've a return ticket with me. You're right Rhoody, one thing is to holiday and another is to live in paradise...and that's why I read this forum!!
    I got a few more years before making my mind up and I'm counting on the expats' feedbacks to give me a realistic inside view of what really life is in "paradise"....

10. PrensBana

PrensBana DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0