Dumaguete Info Search

Question Why we leave

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by cabb, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Mogo51

Mogo51 DI Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 7
    Not at all boring, in fact a good post. Much the same situation for me, but I am in Thailand. I have a SO Filipino and we will move there next year.

I have had a good look at Phils and whilst I understand there are some short comings, it has quite a bit to offer as well. With my SO being in her native country, that is a big plus for us.

Good luck on your journey, wish you well and happiness.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Monty44

Monty44 DI Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 9
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I CAME TO MARRY THE GIRL HER COUSIN INTRDUCED TO ME 8 YEARS AGO!! SO I MOVED HERE AND NEVER LOOKED BACK!! THE BEST DECISION GOD GAVE ME!! NOW WE ARE LIVING ON A DIME & LOVE EACH OTHER VERY MUCH!! SHE IS MY PARTNER, CONFIDANT, BEST FRIEND & SOUL MATE!! OH I CAN NOT SURVEVE IN AMERICA ON MY RETIREMENT, BUT HERE IS EASY!!

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    Why we leave?, should be why we come, they are separate questions with sometimes a different answers...
    Unless you have met a girl and plan to move here to retire and live in eternal bliss.(won't happen), We may leave the US or another country for one reason, and choose the Philippines to emigrate to for quite another.
    Deciding to go to any Asian country and bring your American lifestyle and tastes with you is a big mistake in my opinion. I see guys doing this all the time. refusing to eat Filipino food, never go out in the province, or have all the middle class baggage they should have left behind. They only hang out at Mcdonalds or some other expat haven, only socialize with fellow expats, and lock themselves up at night in their compounds.
    This is no paradise, it is cheaper to live here if you are willing to take lessons from your hosts, and live simply. You will always be a "foreigner" held at arms length to varying degrees, Viewed as a cross between a martian and a rich patron who should give away all his money, we are an alien life form here.
    I lived here 11 years, I like it, but not for the reasons I came here for. It is always warm, It is easy to live here for many reasons, Most people are friendly and helpful if you find the right groups and invest time in trying to understand their culture. I like the food, For the first couple of years it is flattering to have 18 year old girls(and boys) treat you as a sexual object. That wears out as you realize it is all a hustle, even your wives have probably hustled you cleverly. But not to say it is not a reciprocal agreement that gives both parties the things they want, or think they want. I realize many come here to be Peso millionaires, and if you can afford it, like to live in the style to which you had in your former country, it is all good, but I feel you miss out on something if you don't embrace, at least partially, the local culture.
    It is always a love hate relationship living here, but for me I have absorbed most of the negatives and embrace the positives, none of which I had a clue about before I came here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Izzyb44

Izzyb44 DI New Member Restricted Account Infamous

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    For me coming here mostly money I cant live good in usa also the women here are much easier to get to know

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chard

Chard DI New Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +11 / 2
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Well I think that every one has touched on part of the reasons that most of us come here. I was " stationed" in South America for 20 years out of 30 and spent most of the other 10 overseas here and in asia and europe so when I finally returned stateside in 2004 I felt out of place. i had learned to live a simpler less materialistic life and had spoken other languages for years. I had a four year relationship with my wife before coming here permanently to live as I couldn't afford to take the family back stateside. My wife has two brothers who are now in the university and an 8 year old daughter and her mother. Just trying to take my wife to the states and our daughter would still be more than my income could justify so I opted to come here. I have been here over a year now and feel comfortable and we are doing fine but not as elegant perhaps as I lived in the states but equal to what I lived in South America. We have our chickens and our pigs and we live in the countryside and we are happy. I dont miss Florida traffic and all the costs associated with living there, I dont even need a car anymore. Yes I'm trying to learn Tagolog and Bisaya and at least when I try it makes people laugh. Just wish I had saved a little more than I did but as long as the Eagle flies we are fine. I hope to contribute to some of my neighbors and friends through teaching for free and offering what knowledge I have. After all these years I think of myself a Citizen of the World. I served Uncle when he needed me and he has treated me well. Adventure? Well I dont know about that but life is what you make of it and people everywhere can be wonderful. Of all the places I could go in this world I think the Philippines is one of the best choices.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. ex231

ex231 DI Member

Ratings:
    +124 / 28
    I came because I was retired with nothing to do but money to do it, and the thought of a 20something playmate sounded awfully appealing.

The list of reasons I left the Philippines is much much longer.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I'm not here yet lol, But I intend to take early retirement next year and live here. Why ? Because my wife is from the Philippines and I love her and the Filipinos. Plus I hate where I live (UK) the people I detest, the government I hate, plus the City's look like Pakistan/ Afghanistan with all their mosque. So that's why I'm leaving the UK.:mooning:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1