Dumaguete Info Search

Siquijor Wife afraid

Discussion in 'Surrounding Areas' started by doromaner, Mar 12, 2012.

1. SteveB

SteveB DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    My wife and I go to Siquijor often. At first she believed all the stories, but after travelling every mountain road on the Island she started changing her mind. She finally lost all fear after we got stranded on the north shore between Larena and Enrique Villaneuva at 11 pm on our rented scooter with no lights. We had to drive all the way to Saladoong beach using the screen of her cell phone to light our way, including the drive through what they call the enchanted forest. We are both still alive and have all our blood and body parts intact. I guess that ride made her realize that if we were going to get eaten, or worse, it would certainly have been that night. Personally, I was more scared of getting bitten by the asphalt!

2. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    Of course there are no spooks there, and you won't see anything strange, but I did see Elvis driving a jeepney in Dauin. :D

3. newbie27

newbie27 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Why not give it a try,Just crossed your fingers lucky you if nothing happens "That's Great!" If it does,Then theres a lot of quack doctors around the corner to heal you . Lol! I myself plan to visit there maybe on May. I love the picture of their beaches on that island and I wanna personally visit it at the same time, I wanna sort out those witchcraft if its true. Try also the Bais-Manjuyod white sand island, its great there.

4. fingers

fingers DI Junior Member Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +5 / 3
    My wife was the same way when I first talked about going. She flat out refused to go. Finally she talked to an older aunt who told her it's ok, don't believe all the stories. We went last year and stayed at a smaller resort. Had a great time traveling the island, snokeling, diving, walking beaches with almost no one around. We found the people very friendly and the island a very beautiful and relaxing place. Now even my wife wants to go back again, and we will.

5. Lee from Canada

Lee from Canada DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When we went my sweethearts mama was very very worried and gave us a lesson on how to avoid being cursed .
    Che was very scared at first but after a couple of days of talking to the locals she relaxed and said that the people where even more friendly than in her home town. I think she asked everyone she met about witches and wak waks .I was told the Governor asked everyone to stop speaking about occult things a few years ago .

On the flip side there are many healers and local doctors willing to take your money to heal what ales you

6. mntnwolf

mntnwolf DI Member

university professor
    Ratings:
    +110 / 10
    My wife had the same scared view despite her Catholicism & education. I just kept being rational. After all, there really ARE old-school shamans there, and they really DO "put curses on" people if handsomely paid by enemies to do so, it's a fact -- anthropologist friend of mine has been there talking to them (they are very shy of outsiders). What actual effect those curses do or don't have, that's up to your beliefs; i don't believe such things work (at least not in a spiritual at-distance way). BUT it's clear that those shamans (warlocks?) do not bother common people such as visitors; why would they? -- someone who hates you would have to pay them many many Pesos to do that, and then if they had, it would make no difference whether or not you were on that island or not, the curse can "work" at great distances, on a guy up in Manila or wherever. So, nothing for a tourist to worry 'bout. Finally, my wife let me go with a buddy, we stayed a few nights a small resort on the south, had a great time. Returned uncursed, except with what i've always had. Now after seeing my photos my wife wants to go with me on a return visit someday...

7. OP
    OP
    doromaner

doromaner DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I believe it is perfectly safe. I would live there no problem, but that will not be happening with my wife. Maybe one day I can convince her to go? I am working on it.

8. OP
    OP
    doromaner

doromaner DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Maybe my wife is afraid I will look mat somebody wrong and get cursed.

9. Rarity54f

Rarity54f DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    The solution is for you to bring along your asawa so that witches and other temptresses will not go near you.

10. Digo

Digo DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What is going on? Siquijor is a very beautiful island with nice people around,friendly and very accomodating. Honestly me also before was very afraid in this island but after i been there for many times i cannot count anymore, it changed my belief a lot.
    Its just not true that when you go there something creepy will happen to you. What i believe is that, when your not a good person, they can do something about that, but when you just go there, visits and want to enjoy the beach and have some peace together with the precious sunset..c'mon who dont like that?
    This island is always misinterpreted for so many years and that is pity because Siquijor Island is the place for people who is looking for quiet type of life..Goodluck and greetings to the people of Siquijor island..:-)