Dumaguete Info Search

How to Wifi works better w cp and tablet..

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Gabrielle_K, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    My Internet is completely worthless on Windows. I'm guessing it has something to do with some attempts at optimization that i tried. (I wanted "Cortana" completely disabled so i blocked the bing website to keep that b*tch from reporting everything i said to Microsoft's cloud "service".) Not worth the effort to fix the issue(s) when i can just switch over to Linux and have functioning computer.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

2. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    Did you update your bios, which is recommended, before "updating" to windows 10? HP probably doesn't support your device after w10 update.

It may be just one of many w-10 bugs.

If restarting helps temporarily it could be a number of things software related, virus, orphaned bit of code. I would check the dongle that you got to make sure it works on another computer and if it's ok then you have eliminated hardware as your problem. It might then be possible to track down what starts running that is not there immediately at startup. I have a cannon printer that I use wired because it screws things up if connected wifi.

How much and how valuable is what you have on this computer? Can you back up what is important and do a windows 10 clean install? I have a 5 year old Dell laptop that came with Ubuntu which I later installed windows 7 on and when I "upgraded" to w-10 I went to Dell and updated the bios and I tried to install w-10 with the "update" and it was noticeably slow laggy and erratic. I downloaded Microsoft media creator for windows 10 and plugged the flash drive in and a notice popped up that it appeared that I had tried to update to windows 10 and it asked me if I would like to recover but with the warning that I would not be able to return to windows 7. I had the important stuff backed up and I could always wipe the drive and return to windows 7 so I let it go ahead and it fixed things. Still not as good as windows 7 but as good as I have seen w-10 run on anyone else's computer. If you can back up and recover, it might be worth a try.

3. Cletus

Cletus DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +357 / 107
    Try deleting your browsing history, it can fill up fast on older models without much RAM.

4. OP
    OP
    Gabrielle_K

Gabrielle_K DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +198 / 39
    I just now hooked up a 3m ethernet cable and it seems to be working much better. I don't know what that means overall but we'll see if that improvement lasts

Edit: Wow much faster. Better than ever. I ordered longer cable from China already

:smile:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016