Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Will Our Quarantine be Lifted

1. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    significant would even be, for example, to test couple hundred thousand randomly selected people in the metro manila area, to determine how to proceed there. results and necessary numbers will of course differ a lot depending on where you are. to get an approximation of the real infection rate in dumaguete, a sample of few thousands would be a good start. these are doable numbers, even here. test reliability is an issue of course.

edit: and by doable I mean, with significant effort compared to what is done now. with current capacities of few hundred tests/day we wont get there of course. But other countries are running tens of thousands of tests per day.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mikal

Mikal DI Member

Ratings:
    +139 / 12
    'You can't manage it if you can't measure it.'

I think that's what most of the uproar about testing boils down to.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    Testing 130 million people even once, which only would give their status as if the date tested, will never happen in a reasonable time in this population of 130 million plus people. The disease would long have run its course like the Spanish flu did early in the last century. It is more realistic to spend those resources working on a vaccine. I cannot understand the public emphasis on testing, especially when the tests are not proven to be reliable. And they are a false sense of security for those tested. I wonder how many people would even want to be tested if there was even a 10% chance of a false positive, resulting in institutional quarantine and probable stigma?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Worth noting that Bacolod, along with Dumaguete, are chartered cities. They can, and do, operate independent of the provincial governments. So while the Negros Occidental governor is ending the ECQ early Bacolod has decided they won't go that route last I read. Dumaguete would be well within their right to do the same so I wouldn't get to excited about what the provincial governors are doing as the major financial hubs in each province can keep their economies locked up if they so choose.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. fahr_side

fahr_side DI Member

Ratings:
    +118 / 23
    I believe they had a positive case who snuck in from Iloilo. We had one sneak in Badian, posing as a cargo truck driver’s mate, but his neighbors snitched. He’s in quarantine along with the driver and his wife. Hopefully they throw the book at them.

Yes, all ports and land borders should remain closed and ECQ measures should be lifted in phases. That’s the plan in Occidental.

Forget about mass testing here until some foreign donor very publicly supplies one kit FOC for every man, woman and child in country, plus ten for every official and media personality, plus budget or manpower to implement the tests.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The two provinces are very different. What works in one may not work in the other.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    That my Friend is why it never went to a One Region Island 2 Governors and 2 Languages. :bag:

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Mikal

Mikal DI Member

Ratings:
    +139 / 12
    Not true, and less true. There's close to zero margin for error here.

The current situation in Cebu City should serve to highlight where the lack of testing has left us - a few positive cases show up in a certain Sitio of a certain Barangay, authorities lock it down and start testing. Testing ends after they start running out of test kits and they have ~24 new positive results. So now they are treating everyone in that Sitio as positive for COVID-19. Cebu City may have the resources in place to deal with that particular situation, but here?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. mntnwolf

mntnwolf DI Member

university professor
    Ratings:
    +110 / 10
    Yes, I was just at Robinson Mall Supermarket, and their liquor section is shut-down, and that mystified & angered me -- aren't we supposed to be numbing ourselves into passivity in our homes?? Why do they prevent the buying of take-home bottles of comfort...?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Too bad but not really unexpected.

Most importantly - he clarified the liquor ban. "no drinking in public places" sounds much better than "not allowed to sell". Hopefully the misled stores (and cops) will take note of that.

• Like Like x 2