Dumaguete Info Search

Will you keep a gun when living the Philippines?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by pickled_newt, May 8, 2007.

1. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    Definitely ,I will.:wink:

Crazy idea ? This doesn't mean to kill people ,as it will loose out the good intentions of it .This is only for some added sense of security and to deter crime if confronted with it within the house perimeter .Ofcourse some opinions can confront with this idea . Owning a gun comes with some serious personal responsibilities and should be use only when inevitable crisis strikes where it can rather save a life /lives ,not loose lives and keeping it in a safest place where this wouldn't influence or entice anyone in the household to any acts of abuse .

2. 2blackbelts

2blackbelts DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Will you keep a gun...

Since I am not Fillapina, nor is my wife, we wondered about this.

Are foreigners allowed to keep legal firearms in their home? Can we bring guns over with us when we move?

Even here in the states I have legal guns hiden in several rooms for protection. Without bragging, I am an excellent shot, and have dealt with all types of guns my whole life.

I definately would feel safer knowing that I had my guns in the house with me.

2 blackbelts

3. Timn8ter

Timn8ter DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    According to what I have read that has been published by the Philippine government you are allowed to have a firearm in your home. Handguns and imported firearms are prohibited. I'm planning to keep a pump shotgun for the sound it makes when you chamber a shell. That's usually enough to encourage an undesirable to vacate the premises.
    I do have real concerns about children gaining access to firearms in the home. There needs to be a balance between easy accessibility for you when you need it and keeping it out of the hands of the young and/or inexperienced.

4. xm65

xm65 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The biggest thing one should do if you have firearms in the home... is expose and familiarize the children with them! Its when people mistify the weapon that kids just have to play with them... If you take a child, place proper hearing protection and let it shoot the firearm supervised... he will understand what it really is. Discharging a firearm is violent! Its loud! And over all an aquired taste. Hiding the firearms only adds to the child desire to see it, touch it, and explore it. Education will resolve most of your concerns.

5. xm65

xm65 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What firearms are allowed.

6. Marky

Marky DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Its good policy here for a foreigner to never confirm nor deny being armed at home.

7. xm65

xm65 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    oh, is it forwned upon? I do enjoy shooting sometimes.. Do they have shooting clubs?

8. cebudiver

cebudiver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    There is a gun store just across from SU that will undoubtably have all the answers - and there is a shooting club -frequented by wealthy buisnessmen and police... from what I gather, you can get a gun if you get a permit if you present a valid reason for needing a gun and paying for the permit, which costs too much for anyone but the rich and foreigners - some have illegal weapons but if you are a foreigner do it legally or you risk deportation.
    ....I'm sure someone on the forum knows a lot more than I do...
    Personally, I think owning a gun here is not a good idea

9. xm65

xm65 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    May I ask why?

10. Marky

Marky DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Say a foreigner has a few guns and shoots his mouth off about having weapons,

he might get burglarized just for his firearms, or he might get set up for some kind of shake down.

Say a foreigner doesn't believe in owning a firearm and runs his mouth about that...

He might get robbed because the wrong people find out he's unarmed.

Sometimes ambiguity is the best policy.

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.